File transfers to nvme cache at only 100mb?

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hiya!

New UnRaid user; I've been testing file transfer on my new implementation.

I setup cache and array shares (see image) and mapped in Windows Explorer.  When I test moving a 5 gigabyte file from workstation to the shares I'm averaging abt 95 megabytes per second to BOTH shares.

Here are the test system specs:
1) Intel i5-10400 on an ASUS TUF Z490+ motherboard
2) 32 gigabytes DDR4 RAM @3200
3) Three disk array of 2 terrabyte WD Red 3.5 on motherboard sata
4) One WD Red SN700 NVME on the motherboard

5) Workstation drive is ssd

I have confirmed the ethernet connection from Workstation <-> UnRaid Server is @ 1 gigabit per second.  Additionally, I have confirmed 1 gigagit per second internet speedtests from both the workstation and the UnRaid Server.

image.thumb.png.259485ce3a03011a95898ee2fb3fb3f0.png

Thoughts?

Edited by Green Dragon
correct speed and size indicators
26 minutes ago, trurl said:

You really mean ethernet is 1Gbps, and 95MBps is reasonable considering the network speed even if the destination drive can handle more.

Yes, thank you!  I have edited the speed and size indicators on the OP to spell them out more clearly.  I've been watching others test speeds but failed to consider their LAN speeds.

I suppose the best I can hope for with the current setup is a relative 100MB/s transfer to nvme and the normal drop off to the spinners to abt 85MB/s.  Really thought I had something broken!

Thanks again!!!

but the nvme is not totally wasted!

If configured as "cache" Unraid will put VMs and Docker images on this Drive. They will locally benefit from the high speed of the nvme.

Just for LAN Transfers, it won't help. For 1Gbe LAN you don't need a cache at all, today's harddisks are fast enough not to be able to keep up with the LAN.

• Thanks 1