Failed resolving https://mothership.unraid.net

Go to solution Solved by ljm42,

On 11/29/2022 at 3:50 PM, ljm42 said:

So looking at logs/syslog.txt, early on I do see that DNS looks like it was setup correctly:

Nov  9 22:36:22 BlackPearl dnsmasq[11285]: reading /etc/resolv.conf
Nov  9 22:36:22 BlackPearl dnsmasq[11285]: using nameserver 192.168.1.1#53
Nov  9 22:36:22 BlackPearl dnsmasq[11285]: read /etc/hosts - 2 addresses

But then yesterday, the DNS configuration broke:

Nov 28 07:27:34 BlackPearl dnsmasq[11285]: no servers found in /etc/resolv.conf, will retry

I don't know what would cause that, but it would mean the server could not do DNS lookups which explains the error message from My Servers. I also can't tell if it was fixed?  What do you get if you open a web terminal and run:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Looking at system/plugins.txt, we can see that at the time diagnostics were taken, the system was not able to download the list of current plugin versions for comparison:

Could not download current plugin versions

So something was going on with your server's networking (likely the broken DNS) and the error message from My Servers is another symptom of it.

My recommendation would be to upgrade to 6.11.5 (not much point in troubleshooting an older version). Then if you see the error message again, try checking for plugin updates, I imagine it will fail. Grab a fresh diagnostic and post to General Support asking for help with a networking/dns issue. Feel free to tag me, but I'm hoping someone else will see something that I don't.

Resolve conf looks just fine to me. I am also not currently having the My Servers plugin issue, so it's kind of a chicken and egg thing right now. Is 6.11.5 stable? I've only run the stable editions. Strangely enough, I don't think I had these problems on 6.8. They only started with either 6.9 or 6.10.

~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by dhcpcd from br0.dhcp
nameserver 192.168.1.1

I did see an "unavailable" message in the Docker tab next to all the dockers now that I've looked. I had no reason to check previously because I saw no other symptoms related to DNS. Like I said, all my external facing front ends work, all my docker container lookups worked (like the Arrs, etc). So as far as I'm aware, only unraid.net related things broke. Which still could point to an unraid issue, not a networking issue. Does community apps filter through *unraid.net?

2 minutes ago, LittleMike said:

Resolve conf looks just fine to me. I am also not currently having the My Servers plugin issue, so it's kind of a chicken and egg thing right now.

At the time of the diagnostics, resolve.conf was broken, which led to the My Servers error message because DNS did not work.

I don't know what caused the issue but it wasn't My Servers. My Servers was simply alerting you to the problem.

4 minutes ago, LittleMike said:

Is 6.11.5 stable? I've only run the stable editions

6.11.5 is the best stable version of Unraid currently available.

5 minutes ago, LittleMike said:

Like I said, all my external facing front ends work, all my docker container lookups worked (like the Arrs, etc). So as far as I'm aware, only unraid.net related things broke.

At the time of those diagnostics there was a problem with the resolve.conf file. Checking for plugin updates likely would have failed during this time, probably other things as well. If nothing you care about fails then simply ignore the message. Or you can troubleshoot further as mentioned above, up to you.

Just now, ljm42 said:

At the time of the diagnostics, resolve.conf was broken, which led to the My Servers error message because DNS did not work.

I don't know what caused the issue but it wasn't My Servers. My Servers was simply alerting you to the problem.

6.11.5 is the best stable version of Unraid currently available.

At the time of those diagnostics there was a problem with the resolve.conf file. Checking for plugin updates likely would have failed during this time, probably other things as well. If nothing you care about fails then simply ignore the message. Or you can troubleshoot further as mentioned above, up to you.

That would make sense. If local DNS is broken, then it can't resolve anything, not just *unraid.net. Why would container lookups succeed, though? That's the part I don't understand. Like trackers, indexers, etc that are all reaching out to DNS all the time.

Another question - how could resolv.conf even break? Doesn't dnsmasq run on startup and that's it? Nothing should be writing to resolv.conf (or overwriting) for it to break in the first place.

Strange, normally when there's a new version, I get a banner across the top of the web GUI (I always have a tab open in my browser to it). I have no issue doing the upgrade to 6.11.5, I was just completely unaware of it.

22 minutes ago, LittleMike said:

That would make sense. If local DNS is broken, then it can't resolve anything, not just *unraid.net. Why would container lookups succeed, though? That's the part I don't understand. Like trackers, indexers, etc that are all reaching out to DNS all the time.

Another question - how could resolv.conf even break? Doesn't dnsmasq run on startup and that's it? Nothing should be writing to resolv.conf (or overwriting) for it to break in the first place.

Strange, normally when there's a new version, I get a banner across the top of the web GUI (I always have a tab open in my browser to it). I have no issue doing the upgrade to 6.11.5, I was just completely unaware of it.

Depending on how your Docker containers are setup, it is possible for them to override the system DNS. In fact, I recommend doing that exact thing over here:
  https://forums.unraid.net/topic/84316-wireguard-vpn-tunneled-access-to-a-commercial-vpn-provider/
Not sure if that explains your situation or not.

The bottom line is, I am completely stumped as to how/why resolve.conf disappeared and then came apparently came back on its own later. I am glad the diagnostics had some proof of it.

But this area of the forum is specific to the My Servers plugin, which means that the folks who know more about the core system are probably not reading this thread. That's why I'm suggesting to create your own thread under General Support the next time it happens. And for best results it often helps to be on the latest version. 

This was my same suggestion to boianski once we realized they were having general networking problems. It appears that My Servers has a side hustle of showing people when their systems have random networking problems :) 

3 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

Depending on how your Docker containers are setup, it is possible for them to override the system DNS. In fact, I recommend doing that exact thing over here:
  https://forums.unraid.net/topic/84316-wireguard-vpn-tunneled-access-to-a-commercial-vpn-provider/
Not sure if that explains your situation or not.

The bottom line is, I am completely stumped as to how/why resolve.conf disappeared and then came apparently came back on its own later. I am glad the diagnostics had some proof of it.

But this area of the forum is specific to the My Servers plugin, which means that the folks who know more about the core system are probably not reading this thread. That's why I'm suggesting to create your own thread under General Support the next time it happens. And for best results it often helps to be on the latest version. 

This was my same suggestion to boianski once we realized they were having general networking problems. It appears that My Servers has a side hustle of showing people when their systems have random networking problems :) 

I have them all on a custom bridge behind a Traefik reverse proxy, so they should all be using the host DNS. So yeah, definitely a mystery as to why they still worked while resolv.conf was broken.

I just updated to 6.11.5 and took a "clean" diagnostics file (everything is working, including the My Servers plugin, which immediately told me to update after the OS upgrade.)

Now I'm curious to see if the issue still happens. If resolv.conf is breaking, that would point to dnsmasq being broken. Otherwise nothing would be overwriting resolv.conf.

As far as mysteriously working again, I may have the answer to that - I rebooted the server because I was tired of the big red triangle staring at me. Stopped the array, performed a reboot, everything worked for like an hour, then the My Servers plugin complained again. I did not check resolv.conf, but it's quite possible it was also broken.

If it happens again, I'll make a new post with a new diagnostics file in the general forum. Thanks again.

• Like 1