Docker custom network container not mapping ports

guythnick
Go to solution Solved by guythnick,

I am trying to setup my new z-wave devices with zwave-js-ui container.  That is working, but I am unable to use websockets due to the port not mapping. 

image.thumb.png.cbe884e971922991a2589efdfd11f7f4.png

Below is an example of my Domoticz container, in which I have 3 mapped ports that all are showing.  And in the zwave entry, only the 8091 shows.  I can get it to map 3000if I change this to bridge mode, but I can't do that as I need this to access the MQTT container that is also on br0.

image.thumb.png.f4d9a565f045ceb56fee262bdb0a2c66.png

Also when I edit and save the container, you can see the 3000 port is in the docker run command:

image.png.4927786034bd0b3f554e21740869027c.png

That is correct.  Once you apply a custom IP address (br0) to a container, port mappings no longer take effect and are effectively meaningless since the container is running on it's own IP and nothing else would conflict, so the docker engine automatically converts those path mappings to instead be environment variables.

Just now, Squid said:

That is correct.  Once you apply a custom IP address (br0) to a container, port mappings no longer take effect and are effectively meaningless since the container is running on it's own IP and nothing else would conflict, so the docker engine automatically converts those path mappings to instead be environment variables.

Can I ask then why does the 8091 show mapped in the GUI?  Also, why in my other Domoticz container does it show all three that is also on br0?  I understand your explanation, but that port is not working to access from other containers. Only when I set the container to bridge mode does the websockets port 3000 become connectable.

• Solution
41 minutes ago, Squid said:

Because 8091 is what port the container actually uses internally, and the template is set up to go to internal port 8091 when hitting the GUI.  In Bridge you can map the port to be anything else.

EDIT:  I changed the Home Assistant container to run on the same bridge (br0).  Apparently when set to host mode it cannot access the br0 containers. Now it connects with websockets.

Edited by guythnick