Files not visible via SMB on one of my shares

Leftie
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

One of my SMB shares (Video) can be accessed from my Windows computers, but only the first level of folders inside are visible. All these folders appear empty when browsing via SMB. All of my other shares seemingly work as they should. Browsing the shares via the Web GUI or via ssh, shows everything present as expected.

I first noticed the problem after upgrading to Unraid 6.5.11 (I don't remember exactly which version I was running previously, but I was at least one or two minor versions behind).

Fixes I've tried:

• Converting the entire array to XFS. I was previously running on ReiserFS (This is an old installation)
  • File system checks (just with -nv parameters). I didn't see any obvious messages about corruption, so I've been reluctant to omit the -n argument, in case it could cause further problems.
  • Checked file and folder permissions within the share. There are lots of combinations of permissions active in the different subfolders currently, but none of them display differently via SMB.
  • Unexporting and re-exporting the share
  • Sharing one of the disks directly (disk1). The same files and folders that are invisible through the normal share, are invisible here as well.

I must admit I've run out of ideas...

I've attached a diagnostic file. Hope you folks are able to point me in the right direction.

tower-diagnostics-20221218-1044.zip

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Start by running the new permission tool on that share only.

That did it! :) Thanks so much for your help, and for replying so quickly!

Should I run this tool on the other shares as well, or is it only really needed in case of problems like I encountered?

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Leftie said:

That did it! :) Thanks so much for your help, and for replying so quickly!

Should I run this tool on the other shares as well, or is it only really needed in case of problems like I encountered?

You should probably try and work out why the files had the wrong permissions in the first place to stop it re-occurring.

A typical cause would be something like a docker container creating the files and the container not configured to create the correct permissions.  That is not the only possibility so ask if you have further questions.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

You should probably try and work out why the files had the wrong permissions in the first place to stop it re-occurring.

A typical cause would be something like a docker container creating the files and the container not configured to create the correct permissions.  That is not the only possibility so ask if you have further questions.

It's been a very long while since any of my dockers wrote to that particular share, so I'm interested in learning what other things could cause this. Like I stated in the OP, the permissions looked OK when looking at the share via SSH. Since the problem showed up in connection with upgrading Unraid, I'm guessing there's been some changes to the passwd file or similar?

1 hour ago, Leftie said:

It's been a very long while since any of my dockers wrote to that particular share, so I'm interested in learning what other things could cause this. Like I stated in the OP, the permissions looked OK when looking at the share via SSH. Since the problem showed up in connection with upgrading Unraid, I'm guessing there's been some changes to the passwd file or similar?

One more possibility is that someone made changes to the permissions on a share (and its contents) using Windows Explorer.  This has caused issues in the past.  What has been found in these cases is that a feature, has been enable on the Unraid side, called Access Control Lists (ACL for short). This will show up as an ‘+’ at the end of the Linux permissions. See the screen capture below:

image.png.e748592007af5a26091ae9506d19a5a1.png

Note that the ‘+’ is also on the file as well as the share/directory.   ACL changes the way that Linux is going to control access to these resources. After some research, I found out that Windows has used ACL for a long time.  The SAMBA group has added ACL into its version of SMB.  Unraid does not use ACL in its security scheme.

Now, I suspect that if one is using Active Directory (AD) to access an Unraid server, AD could also be setting ACL.  But I would think that in most cases, if AD was in use, there would be a IT person who would be setting things up to work properly in that AD environment.