(SOLVED) How to disable cache and safely remove the SSD from the Pool?

Ronan C
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello everyone, i did few searches but cant find the proper answer, i have an SSD as cache on my pool, and now i want to complete disable this cache and remove the SSD from the Pool, how can i move the contents from SSD to the disks and avoid lost of my VMs and Docker configured images ?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ronan C
  • Ronan C changed the title to (SOLVED) How to disable cache and safely remove the SSD from the Pool?

Jorge strikes again!

Thank you!

Here's the solution:

This procedure assumes that there are at least some dockers and/or VMs related files on the cache disk, some of these steps are unnecessary if there aren't.

Stop all running Dockers/VMs

Settings -> VM Manager: disable VMs and click apply

Settings -> Docker: disable Docker and click apply

Click on Shares and change to "Yes" all cache shares with "Use cache disk:" set to "Only" or "Prefer"

Check that there's enough free space on the array and invoke the mover by clicking "Move Now" on the Main page

When the mover finishes check that your cache is empty (any files on the cache root will not be moved as they are not part of any share)

Stop array, remove the SSD/NVME from the cache pool, disable the cache pool/remove the cache pool (sets to 0)

Start the array, after goes to Settings -> VM Manager: enable VMs and click apply and Settings -> Docker: enable Docker and click apply

And voila! everything is working fine!

Thanks in advance!

19 minutes ago, Ronan C said:

This procedure assumes that there are at least some dockers and/or VMs related files on the cache disk

If you are doing it right docker and VM related files will be on cache or some other fast pool and not on the array. Do you not plan to have cache now?

The user shares appdata, domains, system ideally should be completely on fast pool with nothing on the array so docker/VM performance isn't impacted by slower array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.