[Solved] Required to setup new array configuration after each reboot

oNo
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi,

I was hoping I'd be able to get some assistance with an issue I'm facing.  Recently when rebooting the server, I am needing to reselect each drive before I can start the array.  This is a more of an inconvenience than anything but I would like to correct the issue so that I don't accidentally assign the wrong disk somewhere (I use dual parity).

Background information

I am running low on space on my array, so I have recently purchased 3 new 20TB drives.  Currently my parity drives are 16TB so these new 20TB drives are intended to replace my parity drives then I aim to move the 16TB drives into the array to act as data drives, with the third 20TB drive also acting as a data drive.  These drives were shucked drives so were initially mounted and precleared in their USB enclosures without any issue.  Just over 1 month ago my flash drive failed and I had to replace it with a new flash drive - I have not restarted the server since setting up this new flash drive until a few days ago when inserting the first of these 20TB drives.  After restarting to insert the first 20TB drive, I was then prompted to setup a new configuration for my array, I put each drive in their original location and ticked the option that confirmed the parity was valid and booted the array just fine.  I have run a parity check which did find 13 errors, but I don't believe this was related to the 'new' configuration.

Since the parity check has been completed, I wanted to begin by replacing 1 of my parity drives with the new 20TB drive, but after restarting the server I was prompted to setup a new configuration again.  This issue has persisted through many reboots, so I am reluctant to attempt going any further with disk replacements until I have resolved this issue.  I have searched as best as I can through these forums to find an existing solution from other posts, but so far none of the other posts seem to apply (apologies if I have missed anything on the forums that may correct my issue).  My flash drive appears to be fine and does not appear to have any issues persisting data as confirmed by uninstalling and reinstalling the Unassigned Devices plugins and making changes to the number of drive slots in the WebUI then restarting.  I do have another USB device I can move my Unraid installation to if this is the problem, but as I have had to use the automated tool to replace a dead USB drive recently I would need to manually contact support for this, so want to rule out other options first.

Software information

Unraid OS Plus version 6.11.5

CA Auto Update Applications 2021.09.24

CA Backup / Restore Appdata 2022.12.27

CA Mover Tuning 2022.04.13

Community Applications 2022.12.29

Docker Folder 2022.09.24 

Dynamix Local Master 2020.06.20

Dynamix System Temperature 2022.09.16b

Fix Common Problems 2022.12.18

NerdTools 2022.11.01

Unassigned Devices 2023.01.03

Unassigned Devices Plus 2022.11.06

Unassigned Devices Preclear 2022.12.23

unBALANCE v2021.04.21

User Scripts 2022.08.01

All plugins are showing as currently up-to-date.

Hardware information

Motherboard: ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

RAM: 2x Kingston KVR24E17D8/16 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 ECC RAM

Harddrives: 2x Western Digital 16TB white label WD160EDGZ, 2x Western Digital 8TB white label WD80EZAZ, 1x Western Digital 8TB red label WD80EFZX, 2x Western Digital 8TB white label WD80EDAZ, 1x Western Digital 20TB white label WD200EDGZ (not yet used), 1x Crucial P1 1 TB NVME CT1000P1SSD8

tower-diagnostics-20230105-1253.zip

Edited by oNo
Marking as solved

Thanks for the suggestion @JorgeB.  I tried recreating the USB drive using the tool and restored the config folder as suggested minus the super.dat file - there was only a super.dat.CA_BACKUP file, so I have omitted that.  Unfortunately the same issue is occurring after recreating the flash drive.  I set the drives, started the array then rebooted the server and it's back to needing to select the drives again.

Edited by oNo

I tried moving the new USB to a 2.0 port and it is working.  I may have made a mistake in the previous attempt, I didn't start the array but did this time so not sure if that is what created the persistance or just moving to the USB 2.0 port.  However, I tried the old USB in the USB 2.0 port and still having the same problem.  I have attached the diagnostics of both the old and new USBs with the arrays started.  

Of note, I have checked both USB drives in another system and only the new USB has a super.dat file in the config folder, for some reason the old USB has a super.dat folder - is this where the array data is persisted?

New USB - tower-diagnostics-20230105-1650.zip Old USB - tower-diagnostics-20230105-1655.zip

Edited by oNo
  • Solution
9 minutes ago, oNo said:

or some reason the old USB has a super.dat folder

That should not be there - the information is persisted in a file of that name.   You may find that deleting that folder means the original drive starts saving the drive settings, but I would be worried that the presence of the folder Indic ated an issue with the drive.

I deleted the super.dat folder and reconfigured the array on the old USB, it recreated the super.dat as a file this time and the configuration persisted through a restart, so that was the issue.  Would it be recommended that I contact support to have my license transferred to another flash drive again?

Thank you so much for your help @JorgeB, @trurl and @itimpi, it has been very much appreciated!

• Like 1
  • oNo changed the title to [Solved] Required to setup new array configuration after each reboot