Network Connection Issue

Go to solution Solved by Badboy,

Hi,

I pretty much rebuilt the server, had a power issue and turned out to be the motherboard.  Server runs great and a lot quieter. Something good come out of it, but now Unraid drops the internet once a day. I checked the router for ip conflicts and there were none. I had the Ethernet plugged into a Asus 10g network card. When I slightly wiggled the the cord the light went out.

So I plugged into my 2.5 onboard lan and the light still goes out if i wiggle the end a little. I don't know if the internet is going to disconnect from that port yet, because i just plugged it in there. Is it normal for a cable to do that? I just figured it is the way it fits. It's cat7 cabling, about 2 years old. I have a static ip set, bonding enabled. Going to see if maybe the network card has an issue, other then that it might be the cable. Not seeing anything in the logs that's bad.

System Overview

Unraid system:Unraid server Pro, version 6.11.5

Model:Custom

Motherboard:Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. - X570S AORUS MASTER

Processor:AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core @ 3.8 GHz

HVM:Enabled

IOMMU:Enabled

Cache:L1 - Cache = 768 kB (max. capacity 768 kB)

L2 - Cache = 6 MB (max. capacity 6 MB)

L3 - Cache = 64 MB (max. capacity 64 MB)

Memory:32 GB (max. installable capacity 128 GB)

DIMM 1 = 16 GB, 2133 MT/s

DIMM 1 = 16 GB,

Network:bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500

eth0: 2500Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

eth1: not connected

Kernel:Linux 5.19.17-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL:1.1.1s

P + Q algorithm:9640 MB/s + 33657 MB/s

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

That's what I was going to say...

11 hours ago, Badboy said:

So I plugged into my 2.5 onboard lan and the light still goes out if i wiggle the end a little.

And I'm still thinking the same thing...

I have a static ip set, bonding enabled.

You're beyond me there. Maybe just ignore me.

Not seeing anything in the logs that's bad.

Then all is good?

MrGrey.

12 hours ago, Badboy said:

I had the Ethernet plugged into a Asus 10g network card. When I slightly wiggled the the cord the light went out.

You have found the culprit already 😁

The problem comes from your network cable, to be more specific, from the old plug at the end.

If you put "wrong" and "right" cable side by side on a table, you see that the "right" one is a tiny bit longer than the old one. They don't "wiggle".

If they wiggle, they are wrong.

Sadly it is hard to buy a correct patch cable. All claim they are Cat 7 "raw cable". The "raw" means, yeah, the cable is ok for 10G but the plugs are not.

Only since a few months there are correct plugs on the market.

I have tested dozens of brands some time ago (before I finally gave up the lottery and switched everything to fiber), the only one that worked for me came from amazon and were surprisely quite cheap.

look at https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07SD21N2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

(if they also wiggle, you have a deeper problem. Then you have overbended your lan card and supposely no  cable will sit tight anymore. Then it becoms time for Hot Glue...)

11 hours ago, MAM59 said:

You have found the culprit already 😁

The problem comes from your network cable, to be more specific, from the old plug at the end.

If you put "wrong" and "right" cable side by side on a table, you see that the "right" one is a tiny bit longer than the old one. They don't "wiggle".

If they wiggle, they are wrong.

Sadly it is hard to buy a correct patch cable. All claim they are Cat 7 "raw cable". The "raw" means, yeah, the cable is ok for 10G but the plugs are not.

Only since a few months there are correct plugs on the market.

I have tested dozens of brands some time ago (before I finally gave up the lottery and switched everything to fiber), the only one that worked for me came from amazon and were surprisely quite cheap.

look at https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07SD21N2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

(if they also wiggle, you have a deeper problem. Then you have overbended your lan card and supposely no  cable will sit tight anymore. Then it becoms time for Hot Glue...)

Hi,

Wish I seen your post earlier. I bought this cable https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08G49H5JS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 

to replace this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RHN8LQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1  I think somehow I damaged the end of the cable. I have the same cable in my desktop that i forgot about, and shook it pretty good and the light didn't move.  How would that take so long to put the internet to the server down? I would have thought it would effect streaming plex or other things. 

Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate it! I will let you know once i replace the cable, and it's ran for a few days. Stupid me, just realized my MB doesn't have WOL. If I put the server into sleep mode I guess I will have to do it the old fashion way. Push The Button to wake it up. LOL

It's only been a couple days, but it's looking like it was the network cable. The new cable clips in good. It also solved connect issues I was having on my phone with Nzb360. It funny when it was running how it never effected Plex remote streaming. Also replaced all my Sata cables, parity check was running really slow. Haven't tried that yet.  Things are looking up. Lol 

On 1/16/2023 at 4:37 PM, Badboy said:

It's only been a couple days, but it's looking like it was the network cable. The new cable clips in good. It also solved connect issues I was having on my phone with Nzb360. It funny when it was running how it never effected Plex remote streaming. Also replaced all my Sata cables, parity check was running really slow. Haven't tried that yet.  Things are looking up. Lol 

I spoke too soon. Unraid lost internet again. Almost ready to throw the towel in. I removed some portforwarding I put in place. I doubt that caused it. Made a whole 4 days with no problems 🤣 Could the cpu cause lose of internet? What about the flash drive? Just thinking, is there possible an idle setting on my gigabyte board that could cause it? Considering downgrading my Unraid version. Seems to me I have had issues since I upgraded. 

Edited by Badboy
  • 2 months later...