IPMI NO PLEX HW Transcode!?

Go to solution Solved by Hoopster,

Dear Unraid users.

I'm setting up my new server.

Now that all hardware is reasonably built-in, testing has begun.

I use a SuperMicro X12STH-LN4F in combination with an Intel Xeon 2358G.

This is my first experience with IPMI and now I read a lot that IPMI takes up the XEON's IGPU.

When I run: ls /dev/dri I only see card0 but no renderD128 as I should according to this guide:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77943-guide-plex-hardware-acceleration-using-intel-quick-sync/

Does this mean I can't use my IGPU for PLEX transcoding? or will this work?

Thank you in advance!

45 minutes ago, Oedzesg said:

This is my first experience with IPMI and now I read a lot that IPMI takes up the XEON's IGPU

IPMI does not use the iGPU.  It uses the VGA output associated with the ASPeed AST BMC chip on the board.

There is a discussion in these forums about what owners of Supermico X11 (C246 chipset) did in the BIOS in order to use the iGPU for hardware transcoding in addition to the IPMI video output.

I have two ASRock C246 based boards with IPMI and Xeon E-22xx CPUs.  One required a special BIOS provided by ASRock and the other supports the iGPU in addition to IPMI in the public BIOS.

I have no experience with Supermicro X12 boards but it should be possible to use both based on prior generation support for both.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 4 months later...