Did I setup my downloads share correctly?

Kyo28

Hi all,

First of all, just want to say that everything works perfectly on my Unraid but I'm just looking to confirm whether my setup is the best possible way or if there are better options available. Simple and short:

1. I run two dockers that need a 'downloads' share: binhex-qbittorrentvpn and JDownloader2

2. My goal is to prevent the Array from constantly writing to both parity disks, in order to prevent unnecessary wear and tear

My setup:

1. created a Share 'Downloads' with a single drive assigned to it, namely disk 8 (8TB disk)

2. created a pool called 'Downloader' with a single drive assigned to it, also a 8TB disk. This disk is not part of the Array, only assigned to the pool

3. set my 'Downloads' share to 'Use Cache Pool Only' and set the 'Downloader' pool as the cache. If I understand correctly, this means that everything that is downloaded will stay on the 'Downloader' pool and will not be constantly moved to the Array and written to the parity disks

4. Once a download is done and can definitively be moved, I move the file to the correct location (Share) on the Array with Krusader

5. Only then do I launch the MOVER so the files are moved from the 'Downloader' pool to the Array, in the correct share, in one go

Is my setup correct for what I'm aiming to do? Or is there a better way?

Any feedback would be very appreciated, thanks a lot!

Edited by Kyo28

Not much point in 1) since in 3) you tell the systems the Downloads share only exists on the pool.

You need to be a bit careful with point 4 as it can encounter the behaviour described here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.   Not an issue if the shares in question are set to Use Cache=Yes as then mover will pick them up.    An alternative is to use the Dynamix File Manager plugin as it will make sure you do not fall foul of this behaviour as it always uses a copy/delete strategy.

Normally you let mover run automatically at a scheduled time.   The default is in the middle of the night when the system would otherwise be ideal (assuming you leave it switched on overnight.

4 and 5 don't make sense as stated. Perhaps you are leaving out some crucial details.

You say you manually move files to a share on the array, then you say you run mover to move files from the Downloader pool to the array. The only share you mention as having files on Downloader is Download, which won't be moved since it is cache:only. Is there another share, cache:yes, on Downloader,  and that is the share you are moving to with Krusader so they can be moved to the array?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies, I'm sorry I wasn't very clear regarding the latter points. I'll try to rephrase, hopefully better this time:

Once a download is done in the DOWNLOADS share, I move the files from there to the share where they belong (for example: REFERENCE WORKS share) using Krusader. That way they are attributed to the correct Share but are physically still on the DOWNLOADS share.

Once that is done, I invoke the MOVER which then moves the files physically to the correct share.

As stated by Itimpi correctly, I have all those receiving shares set to "Cache Only" and usually I let the MOVER work during the night indeed when the server is not being used for anything else.

You are switching from upper to lower case randomly. Linux is case-sensitive. A share named Downloads is a different share from a share named DOWNLOADS.

30 minutes ago, Kyo28 said:

Once a download is done in the DOWNLOADS share, I move the files from there to the share where they belong (for example: REFERENCE WORKS share) using Krusader. That way they are attributed to the correct Share but are physically still on the DOWNLOADS share.

You may be confusing yourself (and us) by using similar names for a share and a pool. Nothing can be "attributed" to one share but still "physically" on another. I suspect you mean physically on a pool.

31 minutes ago, Kyo28 said:

invoke the MOVER which then moves the files physically to the correct share

Mover doesn't move files to "the correct share", files don't change shares at all as a result of mover, they just get moved to array or pool depending on the setting, but are still on the same share whether they get moved or not.

Your whole post seems pretty blurry on the distinction between shares and pools.

Let me see if I can clarify some of this and we can go from there to develop the rest. I'm going to use all lower case until you tell us what you have actually specified. Hopefully you have done it consistently.

You are downloading to a share named 'downloads', which is cache:only using the 'downloader' pool. You use Krusader to move those files to a share named 'reference works'.

What pool is 'reference works' using, and how is it set to use that pool?