We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Creating a user share on pool

trinode

I've been trying to create a user share on a pool.

I might be doing something wrong but:

I click to add a user share and give it a name, I select cache only, but the pool list, whilst listing the 4 pools I have available, all the options are greyed out (have the disabled attribute in the page) so I cannot select a pool.

I'm not sure if some other setting is blocking me or there's an issue.

Any help appreciated 

mars-diagnostics-20230117-2112.zip

Feeling daft, I found the issue, I had turned off the setting to allow the user shares on the pools.

Edit: Squid just beat me to the first part of my issue :) 

The reason I did that (a while ago) was because it seems to get really weird if there's existing folders on the pool (on pool two for example there might be a folder called projects, added via disk share before turning on user shares, this then shows as if it's a user share on the main array (under the cache column it says "no" despite the share being stored exclusively on a cache pool, if I create a new share manually on pool two, with cache only it says "Only : Pool_two" which is as I'd expect).

Can we disable shares for folders from appearing if we didn't explicitly create them?

Edited by trinode

Oh to the other part, the appdata, domains and system folder are there as they were created before I added some NVMe drives to the system, is there a guide to fixing that? (they should be on the NVMe called Cache) Can I just move them like a normal share?

Edited by trinode
2 hours ago, trinode said:

The reason I did that (a while ago) was because it seems to get really weird if there's existing folders on the pool (on pool two for example there might be a folder called projects, added via disk share before turning on user shares, this then shows as if it's a user share on the main array (under the cache column it says "no" despite the share being stored exclusively on a cache pool, if I create a new share manually on pool two, with cache only it says "Only : Pool_two" which is as I'd expect).

User shares are simply the combined top level folders on array and pools.

If you create a top level folder on array or pools, it is automatically a user share named for the folder with default settings (cache:no is default).

If you create a user share, a top level folder named for the share is created on array or pools as needed in accordance with the settings for the user share.

Settings for a user share only affect where new files are written, existing files are not moved except in accordance with the Use cache settings.

cache:yes shares are moved from the designated pool to the array, cache:prefer shares are moved from the array to the designated pool, cache:no and cache:only shares are ignored by mover, files on a pool other than the designated pool are ignored by mover.

It is possible to exclude array disks or pools from user shares as you have seen. If they get included later, existing top level folders are automatically part of a user share named for the folder as above.

2 hours ago, trinode said:

Oh to the other part, the appdata, domains and system folder are there as they were created before I added some NVMe drives to the system, is there a guide to fixing that? (they should be on the NVMe called Cache) Can I just move them like a normal share?

Set appdata, domains, system to prefer the pool of your choice.

Nothing can move open files, so you will have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings then run mover to get these moved to their designated pool.