Accidentally deleted everything in my user folder.

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I accidentally just deleted everything in my user folder. I still have my appdata and system folder located in my cache, but I cant seem to be able to move them or copy them back to the new shares I remade in the same name. My other share, mediadump, doesn't use a cache and I have it spread between two HDD discs. All the files are still there technically, so I feel like this can be fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 minutes ago, baazaar13 said:

accidentally just deleted everything in my user folder

If you mean /mnt/user, that is all your data. Possibly whatever you did had not completed. What exactly did you do?

10 minutes ago, baazaar13 said:

All the files are still there technically

In what way? How do you know?

User shares are simply the combined top level folders on array and pools. If those top level folders exist, the shares exist. If you somehow manage to delete the contents of the user shares, the contents of the top level folders are deleted.

If you create a top level folder on array or pool, a user share is automatically created named for the folder, with default settings.

When you create a user share, a top level folder is created on array or pool as needed in accordance with the settings for the user share.

In light of this explanation, see if you can explain things better. Exactly what did you do? Why do you think they "technically exist"?

I was using the file manger plugin and accidentally hit select all and delete in the /mnt/user directory. My shares are setup so that appdata and system are fully on my cache. If i goto the cache folder all the files are still there. My media files are also still all there if i goto disc1 or disc2 they are all there.

2 minutes ago, baazaar13 said:

appdata and system are fully on my cache

cache is also part of /mnt/user as I explained

4 minutes ago, baazaar13 said:

cache folder all the files are still there. My media files are also still all there if i goto disc1 or disc2 they are all there.

If you have top level folders on any array or pool disk, they are automatically user shares named for the folders as I explained.

So what is missing?

17 minutes ago, baazaar13 said:

because they are not showing up. its almost like i deleted the share information but not the contents and now I dont know how to reconnect the two.

It is possible to delete the settings for a user share. These settings are on flash drive though. The user shares still exist if the top level folders still exist, but without those settings they have default settings.

Going to eat now. Will look at diagnostics later.

That didn't help. I'm going to ping @bonienl since Dynamix File Manager is involved. Probably way past bedtime in that timezone though.

EDIT: NVM, nothing to see here. Slightly amusing though.

I will just make a note here of some puzzling things from diagnostics.

df has this for /mnt/user

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
backup           11T   17M   11T   1% /mnt/user

Why filesystem "backup" instead of shfs?

Also, array not encrypted but lots of lines in syslog about luks

backup is zfs pool. Side project of mine. I can delete it therei s nothing important on there. I was playing around with zfs pool commands. prob shows up weird because of that. Basically I need to figure out how to move my appdata and system folders I have on /main-cache. But I cannot download nor move nor copy anything from that directory.

Edited by baazaar13
  • Solution
17 minutes ago, trurl said:

df has this for /mnt/user

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
backup           11T   17M   11T   1% /mnt/user

Why filesystem "backup" instead of shfs?

What is doing this mount?    Whatever is doing it will be hiding the normal contents of /mnt/user which is all the user shares.

It made sense in the moment lol, i figured it would fit in with my other shares. It was working fine, but I was also talking to someone and like an idiot clicked delete all. so I guess the zfs compounded the problem. Thank u man !! u are the best !!! There were still some issues but after a few hours the server fixed itself. !!

Edited by baazaar13