Help me understand read errors

Jan 29 16:01:11 Tartarus kernel: mpt3sas_cm1: SAS host is non-operational !!!!

Your HBA reset itself right at the time all of this happened...

You can try I suppose to reseat it.  But, is the HBA counterfeit?  I had a counterfeit HBA at one point that did pretty similar things.

Also curious why you'd be using an HBA in the first place instead of your internal ports...

32 minutes ago, Squid said:

You can try I suppose to reseat it.  But, is the HBA counterfeit?  I had a counterfeit HBA at one point that did pretty similar things.

Also curious why you'd be using an HBA in the first place instead of your internal ports...

This is not the first issue I've had with the HBA if that is the problem.
I had initially wanted to use the HBA as a solution for future expansion, and also learning that SAS ports seem to be more reliable than onboard SATA.
I'm currently doing a parity check, which I hope will (maybe temporarily) fix my problem at the moment.
If I end up going through the same problem in the near future then I would probably switch to the onboard SATA anyway.

Would you think that it might be a power issue? There's an available port to be connected by the PSU, that I read was generally meant for rack mount servers. Just spitballing here.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Also, how should I figure out whether my card is counterfeit or not?

If the HBA has an auxiliary power connector then yes I'd be using it...

But either way, more expansion cards / components = more points of failure.   

1 minute ago, allensj94 said:

Also, how should I figure out whether my card is counterfeit or not?

You can always explicitly ask Avago if it is or not.

However a good rule of thumb is what price you paid for it.   If you bought a supposedly new HBA for less than $100 when it retails for $650 it's a good bet that it's counterfeit.

3 minutes ago, Squid said:

However a good rule of thumb is what price you paid for it.   If you bought a supposedly new HBA for less than $100 when it retails for $650 it's a good bet that it's counterfeit.

I bought this card through amazon without checking the seller, but it was selling for around 500. Sounds to me like the right price for the product to me.
I'll make sure to add the aux power and keep an eye on it. If this happens again I'll come back here to let everyone know what I do about this card and where it came from.

On 1/29/2023 at 10:15 PM, Squid said:

Coming back with new diagnostics. Does it look like the same issue with the HBA? Sorry about the ignorance. Could you show me which logs I should be looking into?

tartarus-diagnostics-20230205-0056.zip