Retiring/rebuilding a 10 year old Unraid Box - Just need a sanity check

monkmonk

It’s time for me to retire the trusty Unraid box I built in 2012. It’s an I5-3570K that has been running almost non stop for the past decade. I run the Arr’s, Plex and couple of other Dockers on it that I use for development. My goal is to get something that’s a little faster unpacking and that won’t struggle to unpack and stream a video to Plex at the same time. I have five data drives, an SSD for cache and a single parity. All told it’s 58TB.

On my current build some of the drives are run off of a Marvel SATA adapter. I’m sure that’s a bottleneck.

Can someone do a quick sanity check on the following parts and make any suggestions? I will be reusing the case, power supply, cables etc from the old build as they have all been replaced in the last few years. 

Partpicker link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B3YJ4s is open and will take comments.

CPU - Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor

MB - ASRock Z690 Pro RS ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (has Intel NIC)

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Cooler - ID-COOLING IS-50X V2 54.6 CFM CPU Cooler

1 hour ago, monkmonk said:

CPU - Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor

That certainly has the grunt to do what you need but, as seen here, even a modern i3 (such as the 12300) may be enough.  iGPU/QSV in the modern core processors is much better than it was in the i5-3570K.  It is sufficient for Plex even if you have transcoding needs and cannot direct play all content.

The 12700K will give you even more headroom, of course, and enough even to run a VM.