Disk Errors - Disk Disabled - UDMA CRC Errors

Neejrow
Go to solution Solved by trurl,

23 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Yep, you need a new one.

Yeah thanks.

Already ordered the new drive so I'll update this thread when that arrives.

I have turned off the server completely now because I was unsure what else to do. Is this fine to leave it off for a couple of days?

On 2/5/2023 at 11:06 PM, JorgeB said:

Yes.

@trurl

New, NEW drive is in. Did a quick 1 min smart-self test and it at least passed that. The previous new drive was failing even those.

I decided to keep the drive on my LSI SAS card on a cable I have been using for years, even though I also did recieve brand new sata cables today too. Would rather stick it on a cable I know works fine than risk a new cable that might be faulty and cause the rebuild to fail.

Also I understand I'm not in the greatest time-zone (Australia) to be dealing with you, so I'm not expecting immediate responses if something does go wrong again. I'll just post updates as to what is wrong and appreciate any help you can give, when you are able to do so. Thanks!

Just started the Data rebuild and will keep you guys updated as to how it goes. 

image.png.4f8b172404f26946989005ffc7f90c5c.png

@JorgeB @trurl

New issue....

I turned off the PC to load into BIOS to enable CPU Virtualisation so I can run a VM.

When I loaded back into unRAID it is claiming my Disk 5 was missing, and the option to select it claims is the incorrect one.

image.thumb.png.216293524f3743847a7aab5f02a6848a.png

It thinks that the correct disk is WP00L646 for Disk 5. Which is that failed new drive I bought last weekend which immediately had errors so I cancelled the rebuild at 19%.

The full data rebuild was performed on WP00KDEZ which is the drive I still have in now.

How can I get unRAID to recognise this is the correct drive? Or am I now screwed....

I just returned both those 2 failed drives for RMA yesterday.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Do you have diagnostics from then?

Your disks assignments is in config/super.dat on flash. Is there any way you might have put the old version of that file on your flash drive?

No I do not have diagnostics from after the rebuild because it all went fine so I didn't see a need to. I haven't touched anything regarding flash drive or anything else. PC Has been on permanently since I did that successful data rebuild onto WP00KDEZ. Then today, I did a proper shutdown from Unraid UI (clicking shutdown button) and now I get this.

Is there any way for me to edit the super.dat file to think the correct drive is in (which it...is?) or am I now royally screwed.

You can New Config/Trust Parity

But I'm trying to understand how this could have happened. Normally, when you start the array, the disk assignments are recorded in super.dat, along with the started/stopped status. And this started/stopped status is how it decides if you had an unclean shutdown when you boot next time (syslog didn't say it was unclean), so it must have been able to write flash when you shutdown/rebooted.

Did you perhaps do the rebuild in Maintenance mode?

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Did you perhaps do the rebuild in Maintenance mode?

Yes I did the rebuild in maintenance mode. Because I was afraid it might write data from things and screw up the data-rebuild. After it completed I then stopped the array, and restarted the array in normal? mode.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

You can New Config/Trust Parity

Is this the only option?

4 minutes ago, Neejrow said:

Is this the only option?

It is certainly the simplest and quickest and I see no reason to want another option.

Nothing scary about New Config if you understand what it does. It just lets you assign disks however you want and optionally (by default) rebuild parity onto any disks assigned to any parity slots (so don't assign any data disks to any parity slot).

The reason there is a warning about it is because if you make a New Configuration when you actually need to rebuild a disk, Unraid will forget all about the fact that a disk needs rebuilding.

Just New Config, Retain All, Apply, then reassign the disk. Check Parity Valid box before starting the array. Done.

Then get new diagnostics. And a new flash backup (Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup). And maybe a noncorrecting parity check just to be sure.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Just New Config, Retain All, Apply, then reassign the disk. Check Parity Valid box before starting the array. Done.

I did the new config > Preserve current assignments = All > Apply.

Now when I am about to start the array, it is claiming my parity drive will be overwritten (I have selected parity valid box)

Is this what it normally says or has something else gone wrong now? I am scared to start the array with that warning message there. As it still stays there even with the parity is valid check mark ticked.

image.thumb.png.0984fc7c1302e898feebd65157ba9231.png

image.thumb.png.11426faec62dbf4c4e90de377986b84d.png

Just now, Neejrow said:

it still stays there even with the parity is valid check mark ticked

Yes, it does do that even though it shouldn't. Just ignore it. And if it really did overwrite parity it wouldn't hurt anything. It would just be a parity rebuild, which has no effect on any of your data disks.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, trurl said:

Yes, it does do that even though it shouldn't. Just ignore it. And if it really did overwrite parity it wouldn't hurt anything. It would just be a parity rebuild, which has no effect on any of your data disks.

Thank you for the help once again! You're a life saver.

I have started the array, things appear to be working fine. I have taken a flash backup and am attaching the diagnostics file.

About to start running a non-correcting parity check now also.

tower-diagnostics-20230211-1356.zip