Error state on drive

highgear
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello all,

I just discovered that one of my drives is disabled and there are 2 errors on the drive. I suspect it's a cable issue but I'm not 100%. Everything is properly seated. I do have some new cables that I can swap out as well as cold pre cleared disks if needed. I was considering replacing the cable and rebuilding the drive onto itself. Any thoughts here? I've attached my diagnostics.

Thanks in advance I appreciate it!

tower-diagnostics-20230213-0843.zip

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Just to make sure we aren't missing anything, why do you not have anything assigned as disks 1, 2?

Sure. I just recently shrunk my array and removed a few drives. I used the newer process and used the user script to clear the drives and then removed from the array. There was a parity check completed with 0 errors after. This was a few weeks ago and those drives are under unassigned devices.

39 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

SMART looks good, assuming the emulated disk contents look correct you can rebuild on top.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

Ok sounds good, thanks! Rebuilding onto the drive now. I'm currently only getting speeds of around 50 MB/sec on the rebuild though. Docker is disabled and there shouldn't be any other reads/writes happening that I'm aware of. For parity checks I normally get 100MB+ speeds. Any thoughts?

10 minutes ago, trurl said:

Can't tell from these latest diagnostics since the array wasn't started. Previous diagnostics had emulated disk3 mostly full. Some other disks mostly full too.

So after you rebuild, you need to plan for expansion.

Thanks yeah I have plenty of extra space currently but my allocation settings are a bit wonky and always fill my drives up more than I'd like. What's a reasonable amount of minimum free space on each drive you like to see?

23 minutes ago, highgear said:

Thanks yeah I have plenty of extra space currently but my allocation settings are a bit wonky and always fill my drives up more than I'd like. What's a reasonable amount of minimum free space on each drive you like to see?

The general rule of thumb is something like twice the size of the largest file you normally expect to write to the share.   Another thing to think about is that if for any reason you get file system corruption on the drive it is a good idea to have something like 10-20 GB free for the check/repair process to use. 

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

The general rule of thumb is something like twice the size of the largest file you normally expect to write to the share.   Another thing to think about is that if for any reason you get file system corruption on the drive it is a good idea to have something like 10-20 GB free for the check/repair process to use. 

Ok thanks that makes sense.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

Maybe this?

dynamix.cache.dirs.plg - 2023.02.04  (Up to date)

Ok cool I’ll stop that in the future. Chugging along at 160MB now so looking good. Thanks for the help everyone.