Strange issues with deleting empty share.

jekupka
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I'm at a loss for how to proceed with figuring out what's going on in my environment. I currently have 3 shares titled Movies, Music, and Television, that were setup when my unraid server was first built. Shortly after I discovered I should not have those shares configured in the way that I did and proceeded to configure those shares in a better format. After all my data was in the new location I deleted the original 3 shares, as they are visibly empty, however, I lost data each time I deleted those folders. Furthermore, those 3 shares would later repopulate, but again seem to be empty as there was no visible data from the GUI and when a calculation is performed it says 0 bytes. It took deleting these shares twice, and losing data each time, for me to assume there was an issue and so I just left the folders alone and continued to (re)acquire data assuming as long as I didn't delete them again I wouldn't have any other problems. I'm really not sure how to proceed from here without blowing everything away and starting over. Something I REALLY am trying to avoid. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

PS I know using usb drives is not recommended, it is a temporary solution while I acquire the proper storage node.

unraidinblood-diagnostics-20230224-1341.zip

On 2/24/2023 at 3:55 PM, jekupka said:

Shortly after I discovered I should not have those shares configured in the way that I did and proceeded to configure those shares in a better format.

Could you elaborate on this part? What did you think needed changing and why? How was it before and what did you change?

• Upvote 1

User shares are simply the combined top level folders on array and pools.

If you create a user share in the webUI, Unraid will create top level folders named for the share on array and pools as needed in accordance with settings you have made for the share.

Conversely, any top level folder on array or pools is automatically a user share named for the folder.

Any user share you have not made settings for has default settings, including no network access configured.

Maybe this explanation will at least help you give us a better idea of what has happened and what you are trying to do.

I was told that it was a better idea to put those folders into a different structures so instead of them all being separate at the highest level I created data folder with media within that and then the 3 folders are now all under the media folder. If I remember correctly it was to have the data move less often when being passed between the download, the placing in the proper directory, and the transcoding. Now I'm just trying to remove those original 3 folders.image.thumb.png.ab9ee8b71d3d840a3e4f0342dd806e3d.png

Edited by jekupka
6 hours ago, jekupka said:

I was told that it was a better idea to put those folders into a different structures so instead of them all being separate at the highest level I created data folder with media within that and then the 3 folders are now all under the media folder.

That might be simpler in some ways, but doesn't allow you to have as much control over media types. If they are in different shares you can configure them differently.

I know I certainly don't do it the way you were told. Probably most don't.

If I remember correctly it was to have the data move less often when being passed between the download, the placing in the proper directory, and the transcoding

Maybe you mean post-processing instead of transcoding? In any case neither of these are data moves. They read the data, do something to it, and write the results. It could be more efficient if the source and destination are on different disks.

Now I'm just trying to remove those original 3 folders.

If anything is writing to a path that specifies those, such as /mnt/user/Movies, they will just get recreated.

• Upvote 1