Helium level: failing now

Slork

Hello,

About a couple weeks ago, my parity drive gave me an error. Apparently the helium level is dropping? I assume it's a helium leak. It hasn't changed since it first happened, but I'm a bit concerned if this will cause the drive to fail prematurely, especially since it's my parity drive. The drive is a 14TB WD Easystore that I shucked into my system. It's about 1.5 years old, which is still under warranty.

Should I be concerned? What does this mean? Should I RMA the drive to WD and get a new one?

Thanks for your help.

Parity fail.jpg

3 hours ago, Slork said:

How critical of an error is this? Will it cause the drive to fail early?

It is a pre fail attribute, so yes, if it keeps increasing and breaches threshold, the drive should be considered failed. Just like all similar HDD attributes, no one can tell you how slow or quick that progression can be - it's a matter of what caused it in the first place, if there is a constant leak, the drive will fail eventually

These drives expect a helium filled internals to operate, with normal air, they will see sub optimal conditions (more friction, vibration etc) 

I agree with others, RMA it if you can

Edited by apandey