It's back again?! "Unmountable: Wrong or no file system"

It looks like those diagnostics were taken after rebooting the system when the problem was already present?   That means we cannot see what lead up to the drive going unmountable.   If you see this happening again try and get diagnostics before rebooting, or else enable the syslog server so we can get a syslog that survives a reboot.

At the moment you should start following the procedure documented here for handling unmountable drives.  I would suggest posting the output of the check phase before going any further.

11 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It looks like those diagnostics were taken after rebooting the system when the problem was already present?   That means we cannot see what lead up to the drive going unmountable.   If you see this happening again try and get diagnostics before rebooting, or else enable the syslog server so we can get a syslog that survives a reboot.

At the moment you should start following the procedure documented here for handling unmountable drives.  I would suggest posting the output of the check phase before going any further.

Ahhh ok i had no idea that was the case. Thanks for letting me know 🙂

I will do so, and report back.

"unmountable and disabled" - Note: If a disk is showing as both unmountable and disabled (has a red 'x' against in in the GUI) then the check/repair process can be carried out on the disk that is being ‘emulated’ by Unraid prior to carrying out any rebuild process.

This isn't my issue. It's mounted by says incorrect file system.

Not going to lie, after reading all that im 100% at this stage

"If you are at all unsure on the best way to proceed it is often a good idea to make a post in the forums and attach your system’s diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools->Diagnostics) so you can get feedback on your issue."

I don't want to corrupt the data, it's clearly on the disk. Not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

7 minutes ago, cunni said:

This isn't my issue. It's mounted by says incorrect file system.

It is NOT mounted - or it would not be showing as unmountable according to your screenshot.   The drive has not, however, been disabled.

Running just the check is a read-only operation so it will not change anything and the output from that gives an indication of what the state of the disk actually is.

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It is NOT mounted - or it would not be showing as unmountable according to your screenshot.   The drive has not, however, been disabled.

Running just the check is a read-only operation so it will not change anything and the output from that gives an indication of what the state of the disk actually is.

Appologies, I'm running a Parity check now, without the corrections. I'll let you know the outcome.

1 minute ago, cunni said:

Appologies, I'm running a Parity check now, without the corrections. I'll let you know the outcome.

The link was about running a file system check - not a parity check :)  What are you actually running?   The file system check is normally quite quick.

That does not look good I am afraid.

Not sure of the best way to proceed at this point @JorgeB tends to be the best expert on these things but I expect he has gone to bed by now (as I am about to do myself).

This might be a case where we try and use the ‘emulated’ drive rather than the physical one if parity is good but I would like to see what others think before suggesting this route.

26 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That does not look good I am afraid.

Not sure of the best way to proceed at this point @JorgeB tends to be the best expert on these things but I expect he has gone to bed by now (as I am about to do myself).

This might be a case where we try and use the ‘emulated’ drive rather than the physical one if parity is good but I would like to see what others think before suggesting this route.

No worries. Thanks itimpi, I appreciate your assistance.

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

The solution is usually to check filesystem, difficult to say if trying the emulated disk will have better results, usually doesn't, and it will leave you with a disabled disk, but you can try if you want.

Thanks Jorge, I'm learning more and more about Unraid, so i appreciate all the help.

I ran a check, it came back pretty horrific, log file was silly-big. I'll not post it, but what I did do is repair with the correct flags for the XFS drive in question.

XFS_REPAIR Summary    Fri Mar  3 11:39:08 2023

Phase        Start        End        Duration
Phase 1:    03/03 11:32:31    03/03 11:32:31
Phase 2:    03/03 11:32:31    03/03 11:33:22    51 seconds
Phase 3:    03/03 11:33:22    03/03 11:34:18    56 seconds
Phase 4:    03/03 11:34:18    03/03 11:34:20    2 seconds
Phase 5:    03/03 11:34:20    03/03 11:34:22    2 seconds
Phase 6:    03/03 11:34:22    03/03 11:34:55    33 seconds
Phase 7:    03/03 11:34:55    03/03 11:34:55

Total run time: 2 minutes, 24 seconds
done

The drive is now mounted and working again (for now) I've started a parity check, but I've also ordered another 8TB drive because im not confident that this drive is 100% ok..

I'll see what the outcome of the parity check is, and report back, but If all else fails i'll switch the drive asap.

Cheers,

Dan