with 6.12.0-rc2 how to use zfs system for the array? How to move to zfs?

8 hours ago, sheiy said:

want to try the zfs file system

What is your motivation? You want to try it as a new thing, or are you already familiar with zfs and want to start using it?

"Array" in unraid speak is JBOD protected by unraid parity disks. The individual disks in JBOD can be zfs / xfs / brtfs, and can even be a mix of those filesystems, but they don't form a zfs pool. It is still an unraid Array with individual independent disks having the filesystem of your choice. This is not zfs pool by design

If you are after a zfs pool, you can do that as an unraid pool

On 3/21/2023 at 3:26 PM, apandey said:

What is your motivation? You want to try it as a new thing, or are you already familiar with zfs and want to start using it?

"Array" in unraid speak is JBOD protected by unraid parity disks. The individual disks in JBOD can be zfs / xfs / brtfs, and can even be a mix of those filesystems, but they don't form a zfs pool. It is still an unraid Array with individual independent disks having the filesystem of your choice. This is not zfs pool by design

If you are after a zfs pool, you can do that as an unraid pool

if you use the pool can you add a cache drive for it 

never touched zfs so if its a stupid question i apologise lol

25 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not sure what you are saying?  Multiple pools have been a feature of Unraid for a long time.   Are you talking about something else than simply support for multiple pools?

28 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not sure what you are saying?  Multiple pools have been a feature of Unraid for a long time.   Are you talking about something else than simply support for multiple pools?

disregard my last comment it appears i completely missed that it was added in 6.9

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, FrequencyLost said:

I'm guessing theres no major benefit in converting array disks from XFS to ZFS at this time? as its all single disks with no bitrot protection

The main advantage would be the same as if you converted them to btrfs - you would get bitrot detection even if not full protection. There are some other small advantages of zfs over btrfs so if converting while running a 6.12+ release that is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 8:39 PM, itimpi said:

The main advantage would be the same as if you converted them to btrfs - you would get bitrot detection even if not full protection. There are some other small advantages of zfs over btrfs so if converting while running a 6.12+ release that is the way to go.

Which would you recommend in an array?  BTRFS or ZFS?

49 minutes ago, Sagarmatha said:

Which would you recommend in an array?  BTRFS or ZFS?

Assuming you mean the main Unraid array (rather than an array set up as a pool) then I am not sure we have enough experience to be sure at the moment, but I would lean towards using ZFS now that 6.12 stable is available.

One thing to keep in mind - ZFS is enabled only for pools, not the main unraid array.

also another thing to keep in mind - due to how ZFS works, it's not as simple to add/remove drives from the pool as it is from the main unraid array.

lastly, zfs, when using drives of various sizes, will base the array/pool off of the SMALLEST disk in the pool...i.e. if you have a 2tb, 4tb, and 8tb drive in a zfs pool (say, using z1), you will have 4 tb of storage in that pool (2tb drive, 2tb from 4tb drive, 2tb from 8tb drive, with one of those 2tb chunks counting towards parity).

zfs does have it's plus sides - bit rot protection built in, etc...but since OP is "new" to zfs, i would HIGHLY recommend not messing with it on unraid until they have a better understanding.....create a truenas VM with some virtual disks that can be setup in a virtual ZFS environment to mess with or something first :)

Starting new with an Unraid server. Now this ZFS, XFS, BTRFS gets me confused, and I'm not sure which one I should choose. What would you recommend for this scenario?

Array:

Parity 18TB

Disks: 1x 12TB, 2x 3TB

Cache1: NVME 2 TB

Cache2 NVME 1 TB (for Docker, VM)

before my plan was:

Array: all xfs

Cache: btrfs

What would you guys do? Change to ZFS at least on the cache drives or keep the old format, as Unraid have more experience with it? I don't want to bother myself with zfs arrays, just use single disks with Unraid array.

Sorry for the probably noob questions and I understand there are maybe no "best answer", your recommendation will be good enough for me 🙂

Edited by bluecat

Thanks for your opinion!

Since my main system is currently under construction, I would still have the option to switch. Important to me would also be an energy saving, ie the drives should go to sleep if not used and only the used one should wake up. So I think the "traditional" RAID pools are not what I need.