Simplest way to run python script in Unraid

rvs007

I'm asking the question here because I've been trying to create a docker container to run a simple python script and I'm in way over my head.  So hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

A little background... I've migrated from a Windows Server (2012R2) to an Unraid server and have gotten everything set up.  I'm now migrating all the little servers/apps that I had running on the Windows Server, one being a little python script called Alarmserver that I have running to allow the Envisalink module attached to my DSC alarm system to talk to a plugin in Homebridge.  The server is a bunch of .py files along with a alarmserver.cfg where I've edited with the configuration settings needed for alarmserver to run.

I'm trying to move this to Unraid.  I want to avoid having to run a Windows VM to run this in a Windows environment.  I figure a docker container would be the most efficient way to do this.  And I've found numerous docker containers in Docker Hub created by other users for this.  

But since I already have a folder with the script and a customized configuration file already set up, I'd like to just take that folder and put it in a container and run it, similar to what I'm doing in Windows. 

c:\python27\python.exe c:\alarmserver\alarmserver.py -c c:\alarmserver\alarmserver.cfg

So what's the simplest way to get this into a docker container in Unraid?  Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

Depending on what the script needs access to the proper way to do python in unraid is to run it in a docker container. You can either create a custom image with all of your python files included (better if you need to install a bunch of packages link) or use a default container and bind mount in the script directory. The second option might look something like this 

docker run --rm -it -v /host/scripts:/container/scripts -w /container/scripts python:3.10 python main.py -some-arg

• Thanks 1