Users cannot map drive

Hi all,

I am having an issue with a build i've implemented for storing CAD files for our small business (This is my second Unraid Build, but first with multiple users)

The issue is that users cannot seem to map drive to the share with their own user privileges. 

Each person accessing the server has a user and password set.

After creating the share, i set the following in SMB;

Export: Yes

Security: Secure

I then assign SMB User Access for each user to the share with read/write privilages.

When trying to map to the drive, all each user gets is 'access denied', the one caveat is that my credentials always work on their machines and i cant figure out why.

I've tried the following without success;

Logging in with TOWER\User.

Clearing windows credentials through the credential manager.

Creating new users with new names and new passwords.

Installed Dynamix 'local master browser'

Nothing i can seem to do allows them to map the drive. What am i missing? 

I appreciate any help you can give on this.

Thanks!

Do the usernames on windows match the user names on the server?  Windows always tries to be "helpful" (and fails) in that it tries and remembers credentials and you can't actually use two different credentials to a server at the same time.  IE: If Windows asks for credentials to share A, then it won't re-ask for share B as it will always try and use the credentials for A even though A doesn't have access to B

Having the same user names on Windows  and the user using those creds fixes damn near everything

One thing to understand is that Windows seems to be really geared to having a single user per client computer.  (The computer's network name is actually a part of the internal smb client descriptor  (Example:  If the network name of a client computer is MOTHERSHIP and the User Name on the Unraid server is SMBUsers, The actual full SMB user name is:  MOTHERSHIP\SMBUsers   )   There is no easy way from Windows to log off a SMB server.  The only way that I know is to use the following command in a Command Prompt terminal session-- which does it on the Windows side.

net use * /delete

(For the network connections, this is a Control-Alt-Delete type of operation!)

On 4/2/2023 at 8:08 PM, Squid said:

Having the same user names on Windows  and the user using those creds fixes damn near everything

Not quite sure how you mean this.  If you are talking about using the Windows client login name and password for the Unraid user name and password, be aware that the user/client can change the password for the Windows client login but not on the Unraid SMB client login.  That can only be done on the Unraid server by the administrator (root)!  (It is my understanding that Windows will first try to use the Windows client login info if a Windows Credential does not exist.  If true, this can cause an sudden unexplainable loss of access to the SMB share(s)!)

@Troppo, there is a guide to setting SMB to work with Unraid.  You can find it here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

Don't try and setup permissions on the Windows side on a mapped drive (Right-clicking on the mapped drive and selecting Properties) with a simple SMB setup.  IF you want/need to be able to do this, you need to be using Active Directory.