Issues with VM on separate VLAN from UnRAID and communicating with dockers on UnRAID

I have created a small diagram to illustrate my problem. Basically I have configured VLANs on my Unraid Server under Settings > Network Settings with "Enable VLANs" set to `Yes` and I added a VLAN for each one I have on my pfsense router. I then have 2 VMs on top of Unraid and I have some dockers on the Unraid Host. My problem is I can't connect to my containers on the host via a port. I have done a `netcat` port scan and from either VM i have I can't detect a port open on the host, but the VMs can see each other's ports.

This is weird bc I assumed a VM should be able to talk to the host with no problems.

FYI Unraid on the default untagged VLAN hence why I put it as VLAN 0 but maybe it should have been VLAN 1 i can't remember what is the notation for the untagged VLAN. This situation reminds me when I used macvlan dockers to give a docker an IP it couldn't connect back to the host but that was a known issue this is something I felt with VMs wouldn't happen.

Untitled-2023-04-16-2135.png

Edited by Ustrombase

Maybe that's true I haven't used VMs until now. I was under the impression it would see the host just as another computer but maybe it's the n00b in me thinking that. 

oh and btw it can communicate to the host IF it's on the same network as in untagged network. 

Edited by Ustrombase
34 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Have you made sure that both vlans have gateways set so that there is appropriate routing between the vlans?

So I made sure all VMs and the unRAID host can ping each other and my firewall rules allow traffic hence why I call out pinging because my firewall rules are set for all traffic tcp and udp

• 2 weeks later...

@itimpiany other thoughts here? I feel I have been able to replicate this using other VMs that are not on the same VLAN as my unRAID server host but everything can ping each other. It's not a routing issue as I have other machines able to connect to my unRAID host and to the VMs. I'm unsure what is going on but it feels like it's something to do with unRAID and how it handles VLANs.  

• 1 year later...