Disk always reading/writing - why?

Go to solution Solved by gnickdog,

Hello,

I am having an issue where disk 1 in my array and my parity disks always seem to be writing a very small amount of data. This started around the time I got Nginx Proxy Manager set up and running for use with Nextcloud. I stopped all my dockers for a day and none of the 3 disks spun up, so I started Nginx Proxy Manager and within seconds the 3 disks started up again.

Does Nginx read/write constantly even when no one is accessing my tower? If so should I move the applicable folder(s) off the array and onto the cache drive? Nextcloud for the last week has been working well outside of this issue.

I've attached the zip file. If anyone can figure out what data is being written and why it would be much appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20230424-2133.zip

Hello!

That sentence was a bit of a typo. Should have read "If so are there any folder(s) I should move off the array...". I'm not aware of any folders being on the array...I haven't had a chance to look through the folders and verify where they all live - on the cache or the array. Spent most of this time setting up Nextcloud.

I would think (am still learning) Nextcloud or Nginx dockers would not need to be writing if no one is accessing them. So it may be something else. I'll keep reading up on it though. Thanks for the reply trurl.

• Solution

After looking into files that were modified recently it seems that the docker.img was causing this. I had it in a share /mnt/user/docker/docker I believe) that was set to only live on the array. I moved it to /mnt/user/system/docker which is on the cache and no more array disks spinning up. I may be backwards on these two locations but I got the idea to try moving it from one of Spaceinvaders videos.

What has stumped me is why I had it in this array-only folder to begin with. I believe it was due to one of his videos I had watched a while ago so I put it there. With where it is living now all my dockers work and I don't have unnecessary disk spin up, so I believe I have the image file in the right place. Thanks for the assistance!

I see that now that you mention it. Overlooked it earlier since it goes against the "standard" way of doing things.

DOCKER_IMAGE_FILE="/mnt/user/docker/docker/docker.img"
docker                            shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on disk1

When v6 first came along there wasn't really a "standard" way. I had docker.img at the root of cache myself since it didn't really need any user share features. But later I changed it to go with the standard.

If you don't go with the standard, you need to be more aware of how things work, docker.img is always open if Docker is Enabled in Settings.