In search of a different microATX motherboard

tortufo

I just ordered a Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX to pair with an i3-13100 thinking it would be an upgrade over my existing E-1225.

That was until I realized that the board doesn't have an onboard type A USB to move my key across to. 

Are there any standout boards for the 13100 which are a little more unraid-friendly? It's going into a node 804, so microATX is a must.

15 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

5 type-A port at rear.

I think he is looking for a USB port on the motherboard for internal storage of the Unraid flash drive.

@tortufo That board has 2x USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard.  If you don't need both for something else, you could attach something like this adapter to one of the USB 2.0 headers giving you two internal USB 2.0 Type A ports.

• Upvote 1

Guess that's okay if you have a place to secure it, out of the way of it impeding airflow.  And I would want that to be secure, as the metal bracket falling on electronics would not be ideal.  I find the cable with rubberized cover around the Type-A connector more versatile.  A zip tie or two can secure it where you want, out of the way.  If your server behaves, you shouldn't need to unplug it for years.

Edited by ConnerVT
3 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

a place to secure it, out of the way of it impeding airflow.  And I would want that to be secure, as the metal bracket falling on electronics would not be ideal.

I bend the tab at the top straight, then screw it down to one of the slot cover screws. It sticks out over the motherboard, typically at the very bottom or side of the case. Very secure.