UnRAID on Asus Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI

On 7/15/2024 at 8:35 PM, theDrell said:

What I did was download this.

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Then booted to it.  Installed the Intel Management engine inside it once it was booted.  I had already downloaded the Asus firmware with it and put it on the usb stick, and then used that to upgrade the Intel ME.  It seems to be running much better now.

Also the new bios said to upgrade the Intel ME "Before BIOS update, please download the Intel ME update tool from the ASUS support site and update the ME firmware to Version 16.1.30.2307 to ensure optimized system settings."

But that doesn't seem to imply that it has to be done.

Thank you for this.

I recently updated to the latest BIOS and Intel ME firmware. I have the ATX form factor MB.

Here's the specific steps I took:

• Download the latest Hirens BootCD PE and then install it on a USB stick using Rufus
  • Download the latest Intel ME drivers (i.e. "Intel ME V2407.6.1.0 (SW 2425.6.26.0) for Windows 10 64-bit and Windows 11 64-bit."), extract the files and copy it to the USB stick into a directory (i.e. /Drivers)
  • Download the Intel ME update tool, extract the files, and copy them to the USB stick into a directory (i.e. /Firmware)
  • Download the latest BIOS, extract the files, run the BIOSRenamer tool, and then copy the resulting "PWW680AI.CAP" file to the root of the USB stick
  • Reboot the computer and boot from the USB stick
  • Run "AsusSetup.exe" to install the Intel ME drivers you put in the /Drivers directory
  • Run "MEUpdateTool.exe" to update the Intel ME firmware you put in the /Firmware directory
  • Reboot into the BIOS, and then install the firmware using the ASUS EzFlash Utility

Note - these links are to my specific motherboard; make sure to get the files for your specific motherboard from Asus.

Hope that helps!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble getting my SATA ports on the mainboard up and running with my Supermicro BPN-SAS-846A backplane (SFF8087 connectors).  It's not clear why they're not working.  Are there BIOS settings I should check?  I've ensured the ports are "Enabled" in the Advanced portion of the BIOS.

I can't seem to get the SlimSAS connector working either, though that was a long shot with a MiniSAS to SFF8087 cable being rare.  Here the SlimSAS is set to SATA mode.

That said, I feel like the same problem might be impacting both and that I'm missing something obvious.  Any ideas?

On 9/15/2024 at 1:43 PM, Gizmotoy said:

Are there BIOS settings I should check?  I've ensured the ports are "Enabled" in the Advanced portion of the BIOS.

Go to Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration

You'll find a setting for SlimSAS Configuration. 

You want to change that to SATA. 

image.thumb.png.66b2160328d895baec4972f0ca1d8638.png

Thank you, but unfortunately that is the one that I did find and set.

If it's not the BIOS I probably somehow picked incompatible or faulty cables.  The drives from the backplane work fine if I connect to another MiniSAS controller, which is what I'm doing temporarily.  Maybe I'll just make that permanent.