One WD HDD has write errors

Hey,

I have one disk in the array that has me buffled.
I purchased 4 identical WD red pro HDDs, 4TB each. I added them to array that already contained 3 HDD (one as parity, the others as part of the array) - so total 2 parity and 5 storage. 

unRaid immediately started to parity recalculation and one of the new disks started reporting a large amount of write errors by them time parity was done computing (179,089 errors).

I am wondering if this is something to do with my setup or a faulty HDD that needs to be replaced...

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this would be greatly appreciated 😀

I am attaching a few diagnistics outputs I collected, hopefully someone here can help 🙏
(The faulty one is WXL2AA2RSL70).

enps-diagnostics-20230620-0908.zip enps-diagnostics-20230619-1937.zip enps-diagnostics-20230619-1938.zip enps-diagnostics-20230619-1953.zip enps-diagnostics-20230619-2025.zip

Edited by chompy18
ask for recommendations on how to trouble shoot
26 minutes ago, chompy18 said:

While I'm waiting for parity to build... 

Assuming this is a faulty HDD, Is there some way to mark bad sectors so unraid will not use them to write data on? 

Not directly.   Modern hard drives are meant to reallocate bad sectors if a write to them fails so in that sense you do not ‘mark’ bad sectors, but it is possible running a pre-clear might cause problem sectors to be reallocated.

I would suggest your best chance is to run a pre-clear (you can skip the initial read phase) and if that succeeds run an extended SMART test.  If they both pass you can probably use the drive with reasonable safety.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I would suggest your best chance is to run a pre-clear (you can skip the initial read phase) and if that succeeds run an extended SMART test.  If they both pass you can probably use the drive with reasonable safety.

Do this

BEFORE you

4 hours ago, chompy18 said:

re-introduce it to the array

1 hour ago, chompy18 said:

Ok, but I don't see it under tools. I see two options for an app install, one is a docker and the other a plugin that fails to install due to unmet requirements... 

not quite sure what app you are looking for?  The pre-clear is available via Unassigned Devices version (Which requires the Unassigned Devices plugin to be installed which is almost universally the case) or as a the docker container.