New UI mover move files from cache -> array

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

You need to set the array as secondary storage and then make sure mover is set to move files to the array.   You then run mover to carry out the transfer.    If moving any of the appdata, system or isos dhares then you want the docker and VM services disabled as they hold files open which prevents them being moved.

• 5 months later...
On 6/20/2023 at 5:35 AM, trurl said:

Primary storage: cache

Secondary storage: array

Mover Action: cache --> array

This still leads to new files being written to the cache while the mover is running. I believe historically we used to be able to run the mover and it'd move the files to the primary storage no matter what. But now, we can only run the mover when cache is set as primary, as we can't set cache to secondary.

10 hours ago, M1kep_ said:

This still leads to new files being written to the cache while the mover is running

There is nothing in the built-in mover that prevents it from running while files are being cached, or prevents new files being written while mover is running. And it has always worked like that.

There is no change to what it does. The only change is to how it is described.

10 hours ago, M1kep_ said:

I believe historically we used to be able to run the mover and it'd move the files to the primary storage no matter what

Don't know what you mean there. Historically, nothing was described as "primary storage". And the array wouldn't ever be "primary storage" if files are cached.

On 6/20/2023 at 8:35 AM, trurl said:

Primary storage: cache

Mover Action: cache --> array

This is equivalent to cache:yes in the old terminology. New files go to cache (Primary), Secondary storage is where overflow goes when cache doesn't have enough free, mover moves any cached files for the share to the array.

It all still works the same as before, but the way it is represented in the webUI is less confusing.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I have a problem with these settings. I am trying to move all data off my SSD Cache to the array so I can replace the SSD. Buy when I choose the above settings:

Primary storage: cache

Mover Action: cache --> array

...the mover moves data to my cache and not off it. Any help would be appreciated.

Mover will not replace files. Logs show mover skipping files because they already exist on the array.

Dynamix File Manager (already installed) will allow you to examine the files on your server and decide which of the duplicate files to keep, then delete the others.