Upgraded to v6.12 yesterday and nothing but problems since

Go to solution Solved by RuggedRaider,

7 minutes ago, RuggedRaider said:

ah...this one?

echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Yes, that fixed my crashing problems with Unraid 6.12.0 and an i5-11600 CPU.  The Linux kernel in Unraid 6.12.0 does not like 11th gen Intel CPUs with low power mode.  That line turns off low-power mode on the CPU and solves a lot of instability/crashing issues.

It is certainly worth a try to insert the option line in i915.conf and reboot.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Yes, that fixed my crashing problems with Unraid 6.12.0 and an i5-11600 CPU.  The Linux kernel in Unraid 6.12.0 does not like 11th gen Intel CPUs with low power mode.  That line turns off low-power mode on the CPU and solves a lot of instability/crashing issues.

It is certainly worth a try to insert the option line in i915.conf and reboot.

did you just run that in the command prompt?

13 minutes ago, RuggedRaider said:

did you just run that in the command prompt?

In my case, I could not do it from a terminal session because Unraid 6.12.0 crashed during boot for me.  I had to put the flash drive in another computer and manually edit i915.conf to add the options line.

if you can get a terminal open in 6.12.0 just type this on the command line:

Attached is my i915.conf file with options i915 enable_dc=0 in it.  If you are having trouble from the terminal, just drop this in /config/modprobe.d on your Unraid flash drive.

i915.conf

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

In my case, I could not do it from a terminal session because Unraid 6.12.0 crashed during boot for me.  I had to put the flash drive in another computer and manually edit i915.conf to add the options line.

Attached is my i915.conf file with options i915 enable_dc=0 in it.  If you are have trouble from the terminal, just drop this in /config/modprobe.d on your Unraid flash drive.

i915.conf 25 B · 0 downloads

i'll try that... I might have to do a forced shutdown.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2023 at 11:18 AM, Hoopster said:

Attached is my i915.conf file with options i915 enable_dc=0 in it.  If you are having trouble from the terminal, just drop this in /config/modprobe.d on your Unraid flash drive.

i915.conf 25 B · 5 downloads

So all i have to do is drop this file in this location (config >modprobe.d) and i can upgrade to 6.12.3 from 6.11.5 with no more issues running i5-11400 and iGPU with 32GB/Ram

Edited by jaybigman77
12 hours ago, jaybigman77 said:

So all i have to do is drop this file in this location (config >modprobe.d) and i can upgrade to 6.12.3 from 6.11.5 with no more issues running i5-11400 and iGPU with 32GB/Ram

As long as you have i915.conf in the config/modprobe.d folder on  the boot flash and that file contains the line "options i915 enable_dc=0" you should be good to go with 6.12.3. 

The iGPU of the i5-11600 in my server works without issue for transcoding and no longer crashes the server on boot.