data transfering is very slow only at 10-11mbps

On 6/26/2023 at 5:13 PM, JorgeB said:

NIC lis linking at 100Mb/s, assuming you have all gigabit check cables/switch.

sir i am using the branded CAT 6 wire and HP brand gigabit 24 switch hub, i am facing the issue discconection from my tower again and again and then i have to restart my tower and then it come online again.

It is worth pointing out that falling back to 100Mbps is quite normal if any of the connections are not solid end-to-end.  Can be caused by a cabling issue, a port issue or even just a pin in a port not connecting.   A way to check if it is hardware or software is to boot a different OS (such as a Linux Live distribution) to see if that also operates at 100 Mbps.

4 hours ago, Snooky said:

sir i am using the branded CAT 6 wire and HP brand gigabit 24 switch hub, i am facing the issue discconection from my tower again and again and then i have to restart my tower and then it come online again.

Do not assume that either the cable and switch port might not have a problem.  Any product regardless of the manufacturer can fail or, even, be defective from the get-go.  That is why the reliable ones provide warranties.

Edited by Frank1940
33 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Are you writing to array or cache? If array is turbo write enabled?

i am writting to array, cache disk is not installed in my server, i want to install that, but dont know which size disk i should install for cache,

and please tell me how to check turbo write isenabled or not ?

2 hours ago, Snooky said:

cache disk is not installed in my server, i want to install that, but dont know which size disk i should install for cache

When you transfer files to your Unraid server for a cache-enable share, the files are written first to the cache drive.  They are moved from the cache drive at a time when the server is expected to be idle. (default time is 3:00AM, local time)  You determine how often this will occur.  (Many of us chose daily.)  This setting means that you can size your cache drive to be (say) double the expected daily upload of data to the server. 

Many of us use an SSD for the cache drive in the 500GB-1Tb size range.  Be very careful when you chose this drive.  Advertised Write speeds for SSD's are often misleading as they can just be for the high-speed portion of the SSD's storage memory structure.  Read independent reviews for a truer picture of write performance.

One more thing, file protocol handling time becomes a very big factor in transfer speed when you are talking large numbers of small files (say, <200MB) being transferred.  In my case, the file overhead will take it from 108-110MB/s for 40GB .ISO files down to 10-20MB/s when doing old 4MB photo files.

EDIT:  Improved write performance of SSD's costs money in the design and manufacture with the technologies currently being used.  If you demand fast write performance for massive transfers of data, you will be paying for it! 

Edited by Frank1940
2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

When you transfer files to your Unraid server for a cache-enable share, the files are written first to the cache drive.  They are moved from the cache drive at a time when the server is expected to be idle. (default time is 3:00AM, local time)  You determine how often this will occur.  (Many of us chose daily.)  This setting means that you can size your cache drive to be (say) double the expected daily upload of data to the server. 

Many of us use an SSD for the cache drive in the 500GB-1Tb size range.  Be very careful when you chose this drive.  Advertised Write speeds for SSD's are often misleading as they can just be for the high-speed portion of the SSD's storage memory structure.  Read independent reviews for a truer picture of write performance.

One more thing, file protocol handling time becomes a very big factor in transfer speed when you are talking large numbers of small files (say, <200MB) being transferred.  In my case, the file overhead will take it from 108-110MB/s for 40GB .ISO files down to 10-20MB/s when doing old 4MB photo files.

thanks for this information, now i know which ssd i need to use for my server, but i have one more question or issue, i dont keep my server 24hrs running. its my office NAS, we keep it running only in my office timing like 9am-6.30pm, in this time we use this nas for data sharing between our 15 office staff, so when will cache disk transfer the data to array, after 6.30pm,

or if we set the time for data transferring from cache to array between our office timing when we are using the NAS, will create any issue ?

15 hours ago, Snooky said:

thanks for this information, now i know which ssd i need to use for my server, but i have one more question or issue, i dont keep my server 24hrs running. its my office NAS, we keep it running only in my office timing like 9am-6.30pm, in this time we use this nas for data sharing between our 15 office staff, so when will cache disk transfer the data to array, after 6.30pm,

or if we set the time for data transferring from cache to array between our office timing when we are using the NAS, will create any issue ?

please answer me for this also 

19 hours ago, Snooky said:

You can set it to run at any time you like without causing issues except perhaps for some minimal performance impact that is not likely to be noticeable.  Just be aware that transferring files to the main array can take considerably longer than the initial writing of them to the cache so bear this in mind when deciding on a time to run mover.

7 hours ago, itimpi said:

You can set it to run at any time you like without causing issues except perhaps for some minimal performance impact that is not likely to be noticeable.  Just be aware that transferring files to the main array can take considerably longer than the initial writing of them to the cache so bear this in mind when deciding on a time to run mover.

thanks for your help. 

i have tried all installing the cache, enabling the turbo write mode but still i an not able to get transfer rate more then 40mbs, i have two lan wire connected to my server, but its using only one ip address is this ok ?

i am attaching the network setting screen shot please check and help me

Untitled.png

On 7/6/2023 at 1:27 PM, itimpi said:

how to set the time for files transferring from cache to array