Issues booting in non-GUI mode

Hi all!

I am having a strange issue, I hope you may be able to help with. 

When booting my server, I cannot login via the command line directly from the server - the console hangs at a certain point and I cannot enter username/password - it is completely unresponsive.

I can access the server fine via webGUI, all works as usual - also, if I boot using GUI mode, the console also 'hangs' at the same place for a while, but then boots into GUI mode like usual.

I have only just noticed this happening - its the first time I have tried to login via command line since 6.12 update. 

Safe mode does not change anything.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi again, 

So I just looked at the logs, and I thought I would post this info - the last lines that I am able to see on the monitor attached to my server are:

Jul  1 09:29:57 Tower kernel: nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
Jul  1 09:29:57 Tower kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
Jul  1 09:29:57 Tower kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
Jul  1 09:29:57 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 242
Jul  1 09:29:57 Tower kernel: 
Jul  1 09:29:57 Tower kernel: nvidia 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=io+mem
Jul  1 09:29:57 Tower kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)
Jul  1 09:29:57 Tower kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] VT-d active for gfx access

After that its unresponsive - even though the logs obviously show that there is more activity. 

I notice the nvidia line - my monitor is plugged in directly to the HDMI output from the GPU (a 1050ti) could that be an issue? Should I attempt using the onboard graphics? (In the past when I have tried this I have had no video output at all). 

Thanks again!