Where is a list of compatible USB drives?

Go to solution Solved by Squid,

I went to my local Walmart and bought every 32GB USB they had, a random EMTEC brand USB 2.0 ended up working. None of the USB 3.0+ drives worked (including the name brand Sandisk ultra fit ones). The unraid documentation should probably add the USB 2.0 requirement if that's what it is.

"You will also need a high-quality, name brand USB flash device that is 2GB or larger that must contain a unique GUID (Globally Unique Identifier)." -- Unraid Docs

Worked for me:

Brand: EMTEC

Model: c410-neon

I expect these are cheap & terrible quality drives, I just wanted something ASAP since my old drive died. I'll try other USB 2.0 drives in the future.

• Like 1

I know that many people use name brands drives such as SanDisk and Kingston without issues.   Also although we frequently recommend USB2 as being more reliable than USB3 there is no technical reason for USB3 drives to not work as long as the BIOS of your machine properly supports them as boot drives.

Did the ones you got meet the unique GUID requirement (if not they are probably fakes despite the packaging)? 

Did you try the Manual install method instead of the USB Creator tool - the tool seems to sometimes fail when the manual method will work fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

The USB creator has always had some issues on certain systems with various drives.  There are some workarounds online.  However, the manual method 99.9% of the time works with every drive so long as its 32G or less.  https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/changing-the-flash-device/#manual-method

Realistically, the manual method takes pretty much about 1 minute to accomplish and the only real advantage of the USB creator program is that you don't need to right click and select "Run As Administrator"