Recertified DIR-655 router - $43 shipped

Rajahal

D-Link DIR-655/RE Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11 n/g

$37.99 + $4.99 shipping, no promo or MIR

A fantastic router, the same one I use.  A great choice if you want a powerful router with a lot of features.  The only downside is that it is not DD-WRT compatible.  This is the cheapest I have ever seen it, but it is also recertified.  These sell for around $70 new at the moment.

I've been looking for a good router.  I've had a Cisco and several Linksys routers that all seem to drop connections too often, seem to be a little short of range in the house, and have to be reset once or twice a week or you can't connect. 

If this one is more trouble free it would be well worth it. 

I very loosely know what DD-WRT is, but not entirely.  Is there any reason I will miss it? 

I very loosely know what DD-WRT is, but not entirely.  Is there any reason I will miss it? 

If you have never used DD-WRT then I doubt you will miss it.  If your geek enough to know what it is and have it installed then you will eventually miss having it.

I run DD-WRT on a Cisco router to get me VPN access (among other things) to my network when I am not at home.

I've been looking for a good router.  I've had a Cisco and several Linksys routers that all seem to drop connections too often, seem to be a little short of range in the house, and have to be reset once or twice a week or you can't connect. 

If this one is more trouble free it would be well worth it. 

in terms of a short range, a solution would be to use a standard router

as a range extender...here DD-WRT is the only product that I am aware of,

that would allow you to transform a standard router into a repeater bridge...I love it  ;D

My 2 cents, never buy a refurb. router.

If you are having all does problems...

Go to Tomato: http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq

or

Go to DD-WRT http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

My experience is as followed, I used tomato on a buffalo router, fastest and most stable, never had to reboot once in years (in a draw as my backup now, cloned MAC).

Currently running DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT600N, more features, also fast and depending on the features you use its stable. (A bit of latency though... maybe due to all the things I due in my config, will pickup a spare one day to try out a few things.)

If you dont have much IT/Network experience I would go the tomato route (seriously kickass), but supported HW is limited compared to DD-WRT.

Make sure the router your buying is supported with one of the 2 above.

Archived