Replacing single cache device on unRAID v6.12.3 ??

Go to solution Solved by Gragorg,

I was following these instructions:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/#comment-511923

Are the instructions different for v6.12.3?

I think what might have happened is that when I followed the v6.2 steps it disabled the moving function, therefore the files won't be moved in the other step.  I don't know how to proceed without risk.

1. I manually ran the Mover.
  2. I set the primary storage to "Array".
  3. I set the secondary storage to "None".

image.thumb.png.805a8779e5efcd5cd778939e812b2c73.png

4. I clicked the Move button to manually initiate the Mover.

5. When the mover finished, I checked for any empty cache.  However, I'm still seeing the appdata folder (and other folders/files) on the cache drive using the location=cache, not the array.

image.thumb.png.9ba14847600f7f0fde5f2a55c06b5dd8.png

What step(s) did I miss?

tower-diagnostics-20230715-1035.zip

Edited by Jaybau

Thanks everyone.  Spaceinvader has a great and simple walktrhough video.  The key part for me is the "Mover Action".  You have to specify the action "Cache -> Array", then run the Mover.  This will then move files off the Cache.  But here are some notes...

Notes:

1)  Moving files off the Cache can take a long time.  For me, this took about a day to move everything off the Cache.

2) Moving files back off the array onto the cache takes a long time too.

3) I should have kept track of which shares were configured for Cache, Array, and Mover direction.  I have a bunch of shares on the Cache drive, and I couldn't remember what I originally setup.  I probably have the info in a previous Diagnostics file somewhere, but now is also a good time to rethink my strategy anyways.

4) Replacing the existing Cache drive caused the existing drive to be located in the Unassigned Devices (okay), but needs to be formatted?  This doesn't make sense to me.  I exepected the drive to be Unassigned and mountable, with the filesystem/partition info untouched.  There's something unexpected that happens when drives are added/removed from a pool that affects the filesytem metadata.

image.thumb.png.e7aad3b473fe5f4ebbb1891458f652b6.png