smtp authentication method

Protonmail has recently allowed support for SMTP, I tried using it for Unraid notifications, but I got "Server didn't like our AUTH LOGIN", so I contacted Protonmail and this is what they told me..

They seem to only support the outdated authentication method (AUTH LOGIN). It may be the reason you got the error "Server didn't like our AUTH LOGIN."

To solve this problem:
- You can give Unraid Support feedback. Ask them to support the common authentication "AUTH LOGIN" for SMTP Submission emails.
- Also, we passed your needs of "AUTH LOGIN" to our tech team. They have added this to our improvement plans (but we can't guarantee when we will add the support)

We only saw one error ("Sender address rejected: not logged in") from your server. The root cause and solutions have been provided in the previous email.

It means your system did not use your Proton username and token to log into your account. It skipped the AUTH PLAIN and Credentials steps. A common reason could be: Your application or device runs the AUTH PLAIN command "before" the STARTTLS command, or it skipped AUTH PLAIN and Credentials steps for some reason.

Edited by flowermoron
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

unRAID used an outdated authentication method (LOGIN) to submit your address and password. Therefore, Proton didn't accept this email request.
*Proton only supports the common authentication method (PLAIN).

Based on the latest screenshot, the problem is that unRAID only supports the outdated authentication method (LOGIN) but not the commonly used method (PLAIN). This is an issue only unRAID's engineers can fix. You need to report this issue to unRAID.

Do we have any option (apart from this forum) to forward this to Unraid officials? 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...