What the...

So it's been about two years (I think) since I updated the unRAID software on my server. Lately write speeds have been declining, I decided to upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.7.

On my best days average write speeds were about 10MB\sec.. Since the update they are 40MB\sec sustained. Is this normal, or is something wrong with parity?

Thanks.

So it's been about two years (I think) since I updated the unRAID software on my server. Lately write speeds have been declining, I decided to upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.7.

On my best days average write speeds were about 10MB\sec.. Since the update they are 40MB\sec sustained. Is this normal, or is something wrong with parity?

Thanks.

There was a fairly large increase in speed with the 4.5 upgrade, but as far as I recall it was about 30% which is much less than you report.

Perhaps when you were at 10MB/sec you were writing to an IDE drive and at 40MB/sec you are writing to a SATA drive?  I know when I replaced my last IDE drives with a larger SATA drive my parity checks increased from about 20MB/s to about 80MB/s.

Regards,

Stephen

My configuration has not changed since the server was built. I don't remember the exact hardware, but I have 6 drives totaling about 5TB, all SATA. I ran a parity check and it came back with zero errors. The main page also shows as "Parity is valid".  ???

Also, I am not referring to parity speeds. Actual write speeds to the disks are 40MB/s.

Archived