Allow users to start their own VM without unraid root access

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

Hello,

I need a way to let users start their own VMs on my unraid server.

I don't wish to be bothered again with the "I accidentally shut down my VM can you start it for me coz I don't have access to your Unraid root".

Is there any webui that would enable VM start / stop? Or a command line script that I could run on a windows machine that would try in start a VM?

I had this same issue. I used GPIO Group policy   in windows to disable the shutdown command.  The only way you can shutdown is to open command prompt as admin and type shutdown into it. when my users go to the "shutdown area" on the windows button the only option they see is "logoff".  no sleep, restart, or shutdown options. 

Between that and the autostart vm, this isnt a problem anymore.  and yes, even if autostart is on, it wont restart the vms automatically. it only does it after startup

Edited by Mad_Scientist
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Mad_Scientist said:

I had this same issue. I used GPIO Group policy   in windows to disable the shutdown command.  The only way you can shutdown is to open command prompt as admin and type shutdown into it. when my users go to the "shutdown area" on the windows button the only option they see is "logoff".  no sleep, restart, or shutdown options. 

Between that and the autostart vm, this isnt a problem anymore.  and yes, even if autostart is on, it wont restart the vms automatically. it only does it after startup

Yes I did that as well. But now I have a situation where a few different VMs are needed and they are RAM intensive. Thus currently I would like to leave an option to shut down in case the user needs a different VM and wants to have maximum RAM allocated...

It would be so nice if Unraid had a "user" gui login that would have limited rights. Say manage VMs, start/stop dockers... But for now I need a work around...

5 minutes ago, Laov said:

Yes I did that as well. But now I have a situation where a few different VMs are needed and they are RAM intensive. Thus currently I would like to leave an option to shut down in case the user needs a different VM and wants to have maximum RAM allocated...

It would be so nice if Unraid had a "user" gui login that would have limited rights. Say manage VMs, start/stop dockers... But for now I need a work around...

maybe write a script that doesnt it for them. not sure if its possible.