Cache Drive Failure

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

I have a failed ssd cache drive that unfortunately had my docker containers on... unintentionally! I am hoping that someone knows of a way to recover the data from the drive so I can transfer it to a new one.

The disk log has the following information:

image.thumb.png.c4f40670dbd70b220d19637e11dff927.png

Diagnostic file attached the post too.

Here's hoping there is a way to recover the data 🤞

tower-diagnostics-20230727-1138.zip

Do you have the appdata backup plugin installed so that the working set for your containers (normally held in the 'appdata' share is backed up to the main array?   The docker container's binaries are easy to reinstall with their settings intact using the Previous Apps option on the Apps tab.

Unfortunately @JorgeB who is the forum expert on such scenarios is on holiday at the moment so will not be able to answer quickly.

Thanks for the information. I unfortunately did not have the backup plugin installed prior to the failure. I have now installed it.

Do you know if it will still be possible to attempt a recovery if I remove the drive from the cache pool in order to format a new one and get the pool operational again in the meantime?

20 minutes ago, ETO Nahlin said:

Do you know if it will still be possible to attempt a recovery if I remove the drive from the cache pool in order to format a new one and get the pool operational again in the meantime?

I strongly suspect there IS a way to do this, but I do not know the fine details of how to go about this.  

So I successfully recovered the appdata information and my docker containers reappeared with all information for the Plex installation intact! Lost some media files that were on the cache but that's not so important. Just got to remove the nvme from the cache pool and replace with another drive then shall be where I want to be.

Thanks to @JorgeB and @itimpi for the assistance. Much appreciated! 😁🍻

For anyone reading this in the future with the same issue... I used the following thread to install and use ddrescue - https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/#comment-525075

Edited by ETO Nahlin
  • Like 1