6.12 NFS Share Guide for Mac/Linux connection

Nano

I am no expert but wanted to share what worked as most of what I found on google was crap from 2010 that did not work. I will also mention for anyone accessing their Unraid server on a Mac, NFS is around 3 times faster from my testing, all the SMB issues experienced are just not present with NFS.

First Enable NFS shares in "Settings"

Go to Shares, Click the share you want to share and go NFS.

Set Export to Yes

Set Security to Private

Set the Rule to allow full access to a certain trusted IP - This could be a server or your main PC E.G 192.168.1.20(sec=sys,rw) 

Proxmox/Linux mounting - I had zero issues here after setting the security - Simply press the + button and it found the share and done.

Mac OSX mounting- This was just a massive pain.... 

1. Open Terminal

2. Enter showmount -e localhost  ----- Replace localhost with your servername.local or the IP.

3. It should list the Share Name and you should see the PC IP you have allowed

4. Create a mount point (Basically make a folder on your Mac somewhere)

5. Point it to the folder with the following command - 

E.G

sudo mount -o resvport nfs://server_IP_or_hostname:/path/to/shared/folder /path/to/mount/point

sudo mount -o resvport 192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/unraidshare /users/yourname/yourfolderyoumade

6. Done its now usable and mounted 

Edited by Nano
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/29/2023 at 10:35 PM, Nano said:

I am no expert but wanted to share what worked as most of what I found on google was crap from 2010 that did not work. I will also mention for anyone accessing their Unraid server on a Mac, NFS is around 3 times faster from my testing, all the SMB issues experienced are just not present with NFS.

First Enable NFS shares in "Settings"

Go to Shares, Click the share you want to share and go NFS.

Set Export to Yes

Set Security to Private

Set the Rule to allow full access to a certain trusted IP - This could be a server or your main PC E.G 192.168.1.20(sec=sys,rw) 

Proxmox/Linux mounting - I had zero issues here after setting the security - Simply press the + button and it found the share and done.

Mac OSX mounting- This was just a massive pain.... 

1. Open Terminal

2. Enter showmount -e localhost  ----- Replace localhost with your servername.local or the IP.

3. It should list the Share Name and you should see the PC IP you have allowed

4. Create a mount point (Basically make a folder on your Mac somewhere)

5. Point it to the folder with the following command - 

E.G

sudo mount -o resvport nfs://server_IP_or_hostname:/path/to/shared/folder /path/to/mount/point

sudo mount -o resvport 192.168.1.20:/mnt/user/unraidshare /users/yourname/yourfolderyoumade

6. Done its now usable and mounted 

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Question: I've just set up my Unraid server, and have already created SMB shares of my Music folder to Emby, as well as having just followed SpaceInvaderOne's tutorial on how to set up Time Machine to back up to a share on my Unraid server.

Moving to NFS, will this affect those shares? What will I need to do besides the intructions you gave?