Make bootable fails under Ubuntu 23.04

There is no tool to create the startup drive under Linux/Ubuntu. I'm therefore following the manual install method. It however fails on the make bootable script.

$ sudo ./make_bootable_linux 
INFO: make_bootable_linux v1.3

INFO: The following device appears to be the unRAID USB Flash drive: /dev/mmcblk0p
Permit UEFI boot mode [Y/N]: Y
INFO: unRAID USB Flash drive currently mounted to /tmp/UNRAID_TMP_MOUNT, copying temporary installer files to /tmp/UNRAID

To continue you may need to enter your admin password
FAIL: Invalid block device /dev/mmcblk0p

$ sudo bash ./make_bootable_linux 
INFO: make_bootable_linux v1.3

INFO: The following device appears to be the unRAID USB Flash drive: /dev/mmcblk0p
INFO: Temporarily mounting unRAID USB Flash drive to /tmp/UNRAID_TMP_MOUNT
Permit UEFI boot mode [Y/N]: Y
INFO: unRAID USB Flash drive currently mounted to /tmp/UNRAID_TMP_MOUNT, copying temporary installer files to /tmp/UNRAID

To continue you may need to enter your admin password
FAIL: Invalid block device /dev/mmcblk0p

I looks like the script detects the device as `/dev/mmcblk0p`, omitting the partition number 1 after it.

Screenshot from 2023-08-11 10-13-29.png

Edited by jpmeijers

Yes, I was indeed installing to an SD card, because my HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 has an internal SD card slot on the motherboard which I wanted to boot from. And yes I am aware of the caveats regarding this (reader GUID used).

The issue above seems to be that the `make_bootable_linux.sh` script assumes device paths that follow the `/dev/sdX#` pattern. If one gives it a `/dev/nvme#n#p#` or `/dev/mmcblk#p#` it fails.

7 minutes ago, jpmeijers said:

The issue above seems to be that the `make_bootable_linux.sh` script assumes device paths that follow the `/dev/sdX#` pattern. If one gives it a `/dev/nvme#n#p#` or `/dev/mmcblk#p#` it fails.

The easiest thing to do would be to edit the script to use the actual device id type you have and see if that then works.