New disk is instantly getting disabled for read errors

Ugh, so after further troubleshooting I think I discovered the issue.

I have a SuperMicro server with a BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane and that drive is one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/MDD-MDD18TSATA25672E-256MB-Internal-Enterprise/dp/B0C22DF8HJ

In the reviews there is this comment:

One major thing to note is that these are SATA version 3.3, and the most important change to SATA 3.3 is that they changed the power connector pinout. Pins 1 through 3 used to all be a +3.3V power input, and almost all power supplies supply that 3.3v through the SATA connector to all 3 pins (and most drives don't need 3.3V anyway), now pin 3 on the power connector is actually PWDIS (Power Disable) and, if 3.3V is supplies to that pin, the drive will power down (or in the case of it always being supplied, never power on in the first place). You will want to state on your listing that these are SATA revision/version 3.3V and may not power on with older power supplies that are not SATA v3.3 compatible without modification. SOME new power supplies have cables that just don't have a 3.3V power line, but all 12 of my power supplies all had it, with 2 power supplies being under 2 months old.

Googling doesn't tell me one way or another whether that backplane supports 3.3, but I am guessing it's old enough that it doesn't.

Assuming the drive was in another physical slot that didn't supply 3.3V to those pins until after you had already assigned it to the logical slot, then it should work fine if you mask off those pins with Kapton tape.

However... your description makes it sound like that's not the problem. The drive wouldn't suddenly stop spinning up because of the 3.3V issue if it hadn't been moved, and I'm unclear why you would assign the drive to the logical slot and then move it physically to another connection.