[SOLVED ]Severe network issues after changing docker network type to ipvlan

A few weeks back I received a notification through Unraid GUI that it is recommended to change docker network type from macvlan to ipvlan because of stability issues with macvlan. I tried changing it, had an unclean shutdown in the process, and since then I have been in a world of pain...

All docker containers were suddenly gone, well all Community Applications. The manual caddy docker installation survived, but reinstalling CAs was easy and with the ipvlan setting everything was fine for a few hours. Then the server started losing internet access (network timeout).

Trying to fix this I ended up changing back to macvlan. Again, at first everything worked fine (besides having to reinstall all CAs again). But after some time the server randomly vanished from my network and wasn't accessible anymore. Forcing a hard shutdown per long button press was the only thing I could think of to access it again. (I tried restarting the router and temporarily removed the network cable to no avail).

My next try to fix this was trying to delete the docker directory (I switched from image to folder when I set up the server ~ 18 months ago). That somehow first failed, but a few more reboots through GUI and reported unclean shutdowns later 😄 the directory was empty and then regenerated.

With ipvlan docker network setting I was briefly able to reinstall my caddy container and a few minutes later the server's internet access is gone again. I went to the network settings, didn't see anything out of the ordinary (but enabled IPV4+IPV6 instead of IPV4 only as a wild guess to reset the network somehow - didn't help though).

I hope I have summarized everything correctly, as I said it's been going on for a few weeks now and I am still a newbie. It's been a while since I set up everything and didn't have any serious problems before.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

Edit: I didn't even notice the release of Unraid 6.12.3 because of the network issues. I was on 6.12.0rc06 and I just upgraded to 12.6.3 - now setting everything up again. I'll update the post when done, maybe this will help.

=====

Updating to 6.12.3 solved all issues I had.

syslog.txt

Edited by YoHoNoMo
solved by update
2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

If ipvlan isn't working correctly for you, though it should never make containers disappear, try macvlan again once 6.12.4 is out, there should no longer be stability issues.

Thank you. It is working for now after updating to 6.12.3, but the server has only been running for 3.5 hours, so I will have to wait and see. Should be fixed if it lasts more than 24 hours. I will update the topic tomorrow.

• YoHoNoMo changed the title to [SOLVED ]Severe network issues after changing docker network type to ipvlan