NOOB QUESTION ABOUT APPDATA SHARE

HHUBS

I want to have appdata to set to cache only(for performance) and all my containers are set to "/mnt/user/appdata" but I get the error in fix common error plugin that "Share appdata set to cache-only, but files / folders exist on the array". If I set secondary storage and set mover to Cache>Array the error will be gone. However, I'm confuse as how the data are processing. Since the mover "moves" the data from cache to array, does the container "gets" the data from the array? How can I get rid of the error if I want to have cache only share in appdata?

The following should achieve what you want and give best performance:

• Stop the docker and VM services as they can stop files being moved
  • Set the 'appdata' (and ideally also 'system share) so that a pool is the primary and the array is the secondary
  • Set the mover direction to be array->pool
  • Manually run mover to get all files moved off the array to the required pool
  • In Settings->Global Pool Settings make sure you have the Exclusive share option set.
  • For each share that only lives on a pool remove the secondary storage option and set the Exclusive share option. 
  • Re-enable the docker and VM services.
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

The following should achieve what you want and give best performance:

• Stop the docker and VM services as they can stop files being moved
  • Set the 'appdata' (and ideally also 'system share) so that a pool is the primary and the array is the secondary
  • Set the mover direction to be array->pool
  • Manually run mover to get all files moved off the array to the required pool
  • In Settings->Global Pool Settings make sure you have the Exclusive share option set.
  • For each share that only lives on a pool remove the secondary storage option and set the Exclusive share option. 
  • Re-enable the docker and VM services.

What does exclusive means? What if I want appdata only share set to cache only with no secondary and system and syslog share to have cache primary and array secondary?

3 minutes ago, HHUBS said:

What does exclusive means? What if I want appdata only share set to cache only with no secondary and system and syslog share to have cache primary and array secondary?

Exclusive means it is equivalent to cache-only and is optimised for performance.   It is discussed in the 6.12.x release notes.

There is normally no reason for the 'system' share to not also be in the same mode as that optimises performance of docker containers and that share is normally relatively small in terms of size.

It makes sense for the 'syslog' share (if you have set one up) to end up on the array so I would have that set with both primary and secondary and the mover direction as pool to array.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

There is normally no reason for the 'system' share to not also be in the same mode as that optimises performance of docker containers and that share is normally relatively small in terms of size.

Means I will set "system" share to cache primary and secondary to none, right?

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

It makes sense for the 'syslog' share (if you have set one up) to end up on the array so I would have that set with both primary and secondary and the mover direction as pool to array.

So it means I can have shares that have cache primary and secondary array even if the Global Pool settings "Exclusive" is set to yes? 

I'm asking this because I'm confused with what you said earlier:

"For each share that only lives on a pool remove the secondary storage option and set the Exclusive share option." 

I thought, you mean on this is that I shouldn't have secondary storage if my share is set to cache primary and Exclusive option set to yes. 

Sorry. I'm just trying to understand.

54 minutes ago, HHUBS said:

So it means I can have shares that have cache primary and secondary array even if the Global Pool settings "Exclusive" is set to yes?

No.   Exclusive mode is restricted to pools that have no secondary storage set.    You can only set it when all files for the pool have been moved off the array.

10 minutes ago, itimpi said:

No.   Exclusive mode is restricted to pools that have no secondary storage set.    You can only set it when all files for the pool have been moved off the array.

So why do you say you would have set 'syslog' share with both primary and secondary and the mover direction as pool to array if when exlcusive mode is set?

I can't understand. Sorry.

21 minutes ago, HHUBS said:

So why do you say you would have set 'syslog' share with both primary and secondary and the mover direction as pool to array if when exlcusive mode is set?

I can't understand. Sorry.

You do that first so that mover can transfer files off the array to the pool.    When that has completed you remove the secondary storage and set exclusive mode.

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You do that first so that mover can transfer files off the array to the pool.    When that has completed you remove the secondary storage and set exclusive mode.

Ok noted on that. Can you please answer my question here "Since the mover "moves" the data from cache to array, does the container "gets" the data from the array?" 

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, HHUBS said:

Ok noted on that. Can you please answer my question here "Since the mover "moves" the data from cache to array, does the container "gets" the data from the array?" 

Thank you.

The container does not know where the data is physically located as long as you are using a path mapped to a user share - it simply relies on Unraid to supply it on request.    Note that in the steps I suggested mover is transferring files from array to pool, not the other way around.

• Like 1

I don't wanna hijack this post. but I had the exact same question.

One follow up question though.

You're talking about the following

In Settings->Global Pool Settings make sure you have the Exclusive share option set.

Do you mean the "Permit exclusive shares" Setting in Global Share Settings? I have no Global Pool Settings.