Anyone using Toshiba MG09 drives for Parity?

Just had a drive fail so looking to upgrade my 2 6TB parity drives(WDC_WD60EZRZ) with bigger capacity ones, then move the 6TB parity drives into the array which can replace 5 older 2TB drives(formatted as reiserfs, yep they have been running a while).

Can get the Toshiba 18TB MG09 for approx AUD$610

Seagate 16TB Exos is the same price, leaning towards the Toshiba

Thoughts?

Regards

Mitch

10 hours ago, Compass said:

The Toshiba MG09 is the industry's first HDD featuring flux-control microwave-assisted magnetic recording (FC-MAMR).

It's been on the market for only two years.

Not enough time to call it a proven tech.

I wouldn't put it in my NAS when there are similarly priced, well proven alternatives.

Edited by Lolight
11 minutes ago, Compass said:

And they would be?

The usual suspects in NAS/Enterprise varieties from Seagate and WD.

How do they compare in prices in your market?

Are they that much more expensive as compared to the MG09?

How about externals?

The last time I shucked an external Seagate a couple of years ago it was significantly cheaper (but with a shorter warranty) - came with an Exos in the enclosure.

Other externals I did had Ironwolf Pros included.

Edited by Lolight
7 minutes ago, Lolight said:

The usual suspects in NAS/Enterprise verities from Seagate and WD.

How do they compare in prices in your market?

Are they that much more expensive as compared to the MG09?

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/wd-wd161kryz-16tb-gold-35-sata-6gbs-512e-enterprise-hard-drive-ac46638

This might be the safer bet....16-18TB are all around the same here in Aus, AUD$550 to just over $600, haven't kept up with HDD tech so thanks for the heads up re the MG09, have pretty much always used WD anyway

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Raptor said:

do you plan upgrade other drives to 16-18TB ?

Eventually yes, as I want to reduce the number of drives in the system, down to say 6 total, 2 parity, 4 data, will go the 12TB or the 14/16Tb the only real difference between them, besides the price, is the Cache, 256MB on the 12TB and 512MB on the 14/16TB, not sure that would make a difference on my system?

Why do you ask?

Edited by Compass
On 8/19/2023 at 1:38 AM, Compass said:

Just had a drive fail so looking to upgrade my 2 6TB parity drives(WDC_WD60EZRZ) with bigger capacity ones, then move the 6TB parity drives into the array which can replace 5 older 2TB drives(formatted as reiserfs, yep they have been running a while).

Can get the Toshiba 18TB MG09 for approx AUD$610

Thoughts?

Regards

Mitch

Yes I have 2 x 18Tb for Parity, 1 x 18Tb data, 14TB to be added. Slowly replacing old drives and consolidating.

image.png

On 8/20/2023 at 10:27 AM, Compass said:

Why do you ask?

I've ask because taking 16/18TB as parity is pointless if other drives are smaller - no real benefit - longer parity check (have 12TB drives on parity - it takes 20-22h to do parity check)

right now you have 26TB of space (12 drives - 10 data, 2 parity) - buy 3 14/16TB drives - 2 for parity, 1 for data - finally you get 26/28TB of space (6 drives, data 14/16TB + 3x 6TB, parity 2x 14/16TB) and in the future replace 6TB with 14/16TB

image.png.5c9ca68faac315c61b9aed749deed391.png

On 8/22/2023 at 5:45 PM, Raptor said:

I've ask because taking 16/18TB as parity is pointless if other drives are smaller - no real benefit - longer parity check (have 12TB drives on parity - it takes 20-22h to do parity check)

right now you have 26TB of space (12 drives - 10 data, 2 parity) - buy 3 14/16TB drives - 2 for parity, 1 for data - finally you get 26/28TB of space (6 drives, data 14/16TB + 3x 6TB, parity 2x 14/16TB) and in the future replace 6TB with 14/16TB

image.png.5c9ca68faac315c61b9aed749deed391.png

Went with 2 x 14TB, will get those into the system then order another one, thanks for the advice