General Backplane Question

Hello Everyone !
I would like to ask a question about backplanes and how could I use one (possibly).
:) 

// A little Info // 
I am currently using a Supermicro 
X9DRi-LN4F+ with 9 Drives. 8 SATA and 1 nVME. 
All 8 SATA drives are connected using a Dell H200 card with two SAS to 4 SATA cables. (after suggestions from forum members). While the Motherboard still has all its SATA ports available. This works great, and I've had no problems using it this way. 
I have everything mounted on a 100% DIY box, (enclosure) and the drives are just bolted onto an old 3.5" drive bracket from an old server Tower. 

// What I'd like to do (and my Questions) //
I saw online that backplanes from servers are sold as replacement parts. Since my drives are getting more and more (as need grows),
could I possibly use a backplance as such, and connect it to my H200, to mount the drives on that ? 
For example I found that an F313F backplane (such as this one) is quite cheap, and I was thinking of buying one, and making a custom 3D printed case with HDD Caddies for it. 

• Would something like this work ? 
  • The F313F has a "BP" connector that goes to the motherboard apparently. Is that necessary ? Would it be a problem not connecting it ?

// Other Possible Solutions //

Would you suggest against this ? 
Or would you suggest something else all together? 
I also saw about drive "cases" (such as this one) but they tend to be more expensive and require proprietary caddies. 

I quite like the DIY part of my solution, and difinitely like spending less IF POSSIBLE. 
I'm not rich by any means. 

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. 
Thank you for taking the time to read my problem. Have a nice day. 

1 hour ago, bonamin said:

For example I found that an F313F backplane (such as this one) is quite cheap

It *should* work, since there's no expander it will require both HBA ports to use 8 drives.

1 hour ago, bonamin said:

The F313F has a "BP" connector that goes to the motherboard apparently. Is that necessary ? Would it be a problem not connecting it ?

This should be optional.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 9/22/2023 at 9:31 PM, champskarl said:

I had the same exact idea and just stumbled upon this thread.

Did you ever end up creating a 3d printed case for it? I would be interested in the model files if you did :)
I dont have a lot of experience with modelling, though I could probably stumble my way through it.

Hey !!
Although I didn't actually make anything yet, because of personal reasons (I really had no time), I found multiple enclosures for HDDs on Thingiverse.com
If that is any help to you !