server crashed, hard shutdown needed

SP67
Go to solution Solved by SP67,

Last time it crashed I did't have syslog activated. It was on Saturday, after I installed two additional hard drives. Last time my shares also disappeared and my array didn't start so I opened this post: Help! No shares and array won't start - General Support - Unraid

Regards

Edit: last time it crashed with docker and vms modules inactive.

Edited by SP67
5 minutes ago, SP67 said:

Sorry, I meant the log on the 1st post if after today's crash.

OK, in that case there's nothing relevant logged, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one. 

I tried changing network to ipvlan and disabling bonding and bridging as in 6.12.3 it was stable with this (though I used a second, USB NIC for Docker). It crashed again less than 24h later. 

I've changed back to macvlan. I have reset the BIOS in case there was something miss configured. 

I'm attaching the logs but I don't see anything relevant. 

Regards

syslog-192.168.88.253 (1).log nas-diagnostics-20230910-0012.zip

I'm trying different things to see if stability improves. Currently running with 2 NICs (one for Docker and one for unraid), with bridging and bonding disabled as with this config it was stable for a month with 6.12.3.

However, I'm seeing some weird call traces on red on the logs. My Home Assistant VM just crashed and the GUI is not responding as fast as usual. Can you please take a look at the logs? It started at 18:02:21 with a "Sep 14 18:02:21 NAS kernel: kernel BUG at drivers/md/unraid.c:356!"

Edit: I can't run diagnostics because the process hangs at lsof -Pni 2</dev/null|todos >....

syslog-192.168.88.253 (3).log

Edited by SP67
1 minute ago, SP67 said:

Follow up question. Every time I crash and the parity check starts it detects 12 sync errors. Are these errors getting corrected and new every time or are then always the same?

It depends on whether the check that is running is correcting or non-correcting.   Since you have the Parity Check Tuning plugin installed the entries in the Parity History should tell you what type of check was run.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have the answer for your issue, but I experienced very much the same kinds of trouble when I wanted to run 4 RAM sticks on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P based computer.  Two sticks were fine but I had to tweak many BIOS settings to get four RAM sticks to be stable.  I was able to find the correct tweaks via internet search. Maybe someone has ideas for your motherboard?

It might be worth to look again then. For reference the board is a Gigabyte Z87-UDH3. I'll write back if I find anything. Thanks!

Wow, it does seem like its a really common issue with Gigabyte motherboards and 4 RAM modules when you enable XMP:

Fix for gigabyte 4 dimm memory instability | Page 3 | tonymacx86.com

Gigabyte Z87 mobos freeze when using 4 healthy sticks of RAM | tonymacx86.com

Z87 When will Gigabyte fix the 4 DIMM memory issue? (giga-byte.co.uk)

Edited by SP67

So lets say I want to try some tweaks I've found online (updating the BIOS to a beta version that some people say improves stability, playing with the DRAM voltage and timmings, etc.). What would you guys recommend me so that I don't force my system to go through several parity checks if/when the system crashes?