Cannot connect to Internet 0 with Unraid 6.12.4-rc19

gibeaug

Had some issues and had to reformat my boot USB and purchase a new license (could not find my old license file).  I ran the USB creator software and booted from USB and am able to get into the GUI from my computer on the same network.  I have tried setting the IP via DHCP but all it does is put an APIPA address (169.254...) - all other devices on our network pull DHCP just fine.  I reformatted the USB and configured static IP - I can access the Web GUi from multiple devices on our internal network - - but I cannot get the Unraid box to talk to the outside (I have verified all IP settings).  My router/firewall is a Ubiquiti UDM Pro and my over 50 clients have no issues what-so-ever.  Any thoughts as to what to check?  I cannot get it to reach out for the registration file using the link provided by Unraid.

Thank you

If you had contacted support they could probably have helped you to get going without purchasing a new licence :(   Might still be worth doing to get your previous licence working again so you have a spare/backup if needed.

If DHCP is not working that implies there might be some sort of issue at the networking level.

You should post your system's diagnostics zip file in your next post in this thread to get more informed feedback.  It is always a good idea to post this if your question might involve us seeing how you have things set up or to look at recent logs.

• 2 weeks later...

Something unexpected came up and I had to leave the project unfinished.  I will try to remote in to another PC on the network and see if I can get into the UnRaid box to get the diagnostic.  I may not get out there again until next year - so by then they may have scrapped the entire project.  I have been running UnRaid at home for a long time - so am unsure why it started acting the way it was - they are starting to doubt my recommendation ;-)

On 10/3/2023 at 2:54 PM, rewarding-squirt6968 said:

they are starting to doubt my recommendation ;-)

Unraid isn't a set and forget, it needs monitoring and maintenance fairly regularly. If there is no one on site that can provide that care and feeding, I wouldn't recommend it either.

For Unraid to be successful in a business setting, one of the principles in the company needs to be the one setting it up and maintaining it. Otherwise it's liable to be abandoned and when the first issue comes up it will be catastrophic. One of the downsides of Unraid just working for most people most of the time is that it becomes part of the background, and when something happens your normal IT support isn't going to be able to help. Since Unraid is now offering direct paid support options that isn't as large of an issue as it once was for a company, but it's still a thing. If no one at the company when it breaks even knows who to call, it's going to be scrapped for something that the local IT is familiar with.