Drives Not Spinning Down 6.12.4

Badboy
Go to solution Solved by Badboy,

Hi everyone, 

Thinking of downgrading, not having much luck with this version of Unraid. I can't get any of my drives to spin down. If I do it manually they stay spun down for about 30 seconds and come back on. I have tried it with all my dockers shutoff, I have uninstalled Dynamix Cache Directory, put Active Streams on, didn't show me anything. Default file system is XFS. Not running anything different then before the upgrade.  I know something could be pinging them, but I don't know what, unless it's a plugin.  They are the same I was using before. 

I don't think there's much in there now. Going to have another look. I just moved Plex Meta Manager on to the m. 2 drive. The funny thing is that I didn't have this problem before. Same setup for a while. It does make sense. Can I totally delete that app folder? Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. 

On 9/29/2023 at 10:40 AM, Badboy said:

Can I totally delete that app folder?

If the folder is empty, yes.  If not, you can copy files to the cache's appdata folder.  Once appdata has been removed from the data disks, it will stop spinning them up.

You can modify your appdata share settings and set primary storage to Cache and secondary storage to None.  This will prevent new files in this share from being written to the array.

On 10/1/2023 at 12:57 PM, Badboy said:

I moved everything to the Array/Cache, not giving me an option to set primary storage to Cache.

I assumed yours had the default name of Cache.  Yours is named plexer.  In the appdata share settings, can you select plexer for primary storage?

Primary storage (for new files and folders): plexer

Secondary storage: None

Plexer is a pool of backup drives that I have not plugged back in yet. I went and bought a 2tb ssd m.2 drive. I use this for cache. I will move all my appdata on it, and my downloads folder. Hopefully this will fix the spin down issue. When I went to do this I had no option for cache. I did stop the array.  This new version of Unraid is very strange now. Lol

This is what I did. 

Stop the array.

Look at the very bottom of the page in the Disk Devices section for a disk 'slot' labeled Cache (the very last slot).

Select any disk not in the array into that slot.

Thank you very much. 

On 10/6/2023 at 5:04 PM, Badboy said:

This is what I did.

Unraid's default cache pool name is "cache", but yours is named "plexer."  You don't have another pool named "cache," but looks like you DO have a share called "cache" which exists on the array.  Maybe that's what you're expecting to see and why you don't see it?

You can add multiple pools and elect to designate a specific pool in your share settings.  If you just added the m.2 in cache slot, you should see it as available "Primary storage" option in the share settings.

I would edit your system, domains, and appdata shares and set them to use a primary storage pool and no secondary storage.  Then move every instance of these folders off the array disks and onto the primary storage pool.

• Solution

That's a group of storage pools that I just plugged back in. I think I have solved it.  I changed the default appdata and disk image to my cache_pool. It looks like disks are going to stay spun down until needed.  The ones I plugged back in spun themselves down automatically.  👍

thanks for the help!