Unraid unusable on Mac Monterey

On 10/2/2023 at 2:14 PM, anesthetic-sausage1560 said:

When I try to open a folder on my Mac, I get spinning beachball. Not sure if it is due to tailscale or permissions ? I am a new user   And would be grateful for advice. Thanks

I would first get things working locally without Tailscale so you at least know if TailScale is the problem.

Upload a copy of the diagnostics zip file in a new post in this thread.  

Also set up the Syslog Server using these instructions:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-781601

Since you can reproduce the condition very quickly, use the 'the Mirror syslog to flash:' method.  After you have generated the condition, upload that file in a new post. 

I started in safe mode. Now I can't write to the shares due to permissions. I tried both root and user.

I just looked at the syslog file. I don't know what it means but it says something about: "docker 0 port 1 (**********) entered blocking state
Oct  9 18:37:34 Tower kernel: docker0: port 1(**********) entered disabled state."

None of the dockers are set to auto start so I don't know what it.

Apparently the problems of frozen operating system and extremely slow file and folder sharing between Mac and Unraid machines is caused by incompatibilities between the Unraid SMB protocol and the Apple SMB protocol used for file operations.

I have heard that I need to enable the vfs_fruit module by addingto my samba extra config under Settings>SMB>SMB Extras

However I am not sure how to format the text in order to achieve this .

Do you know?

34 minutes ago, anesthetic-sausage1560 said:

The post shows additional parameters that can be entered somewhere but does not say where or how to enter them. Do you know?

Settings   >>>   SMB       then look for this section/tab.

image.thumb.png.9999dd4c6218880867f5f0267d81881c.png

Note that you have to stop the array first.  Then an Editor will open up (as I recall) and you can enter anything that you want.  (I suggest copy-and-paste.)   Note that putting a Pound Sign---   #   ---in front a line converts it to a comment and it will be ignored!   (This will allow to paste all the instructions/parrameters that you want at one time and 'comment' out the ones you don't think you need.  Remember that some of the Apple SMB parameters will affect Windows- (and, probably, Linux)  SMB so proceed carefully.)

Google   Samba smb.conf   and you will find all of the parameters that can be used in Samba and a description of what they do. 

The   smb-extra.conf   file for Unraid is stored in the   /config  directory on the flash drive.  If you want to edit it outside of Unraid be careful as that file uses Linux line endings rather than Windows and Mac line endings.  So be sure that you use an editor that is aware of that fact.  (I use EditPad Lite for this purpose on Windows...) 

Edited by Frank1940