"Nobody" as owner

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I am very new to unraid and Linux.  Trying to follow and understand the server setup.  Came across my share folders and other folders.  I frequents moves files from my windows pc to the unraid server.  I am having errors moving files saying I do not have permission.  When i see the owner of folder it says nobody.  I change owner to my root user name in unraid and it work.  Only thing that happens is some time later or maybe after a reboot of the unraid server the folder goes back to nobody and same issues happens. This happens also on docker containers i have installed as well. 

Do I need to change my user permission somewhere?

What is the nobody owner? 

Anywhere where is can find more details on this issue.  

Thank you

Just now, ashkasto said:

I have not trying to run Tools->New Permissions  let me try this thanks

What if I changed the folders to root of my current root user, will this cause issues in the future?

Thanks

Yes it might - difficult to tell.   The tool I mentioned will change the permissions back to those Unraid expects.

So as a follow up, I have noticed when using new permissions under tools for the shares folders everything's works again for a short period of time. Then suddenly same problem reoccurs.   Also, the radarr container then gives errors that is can not relocate the file as well. My windows folder accessing the unraid server also block me from deleting or moving folders.  Keeps reverting back after it is fixed for some reason

Appreciated any help

You need to identify what Docker containers or VM's are writing directly to the array.   Then you have to check to see what owner and group each one is using when it does its writes.

I always using the following Linux/Unix command in the GUI Terminal to check exactly what the owner, group and the permissions are on each file and directory:

ls -al /mnt/user0

This will typically give an output that looks something like this:

image.png.a356d7c4bfeb0b8aa1cda85fa7dbf082.png

Then you can use the up, down, left, right arrows, Home and End keys to recall previous command and edit them.  Looking at the screen capture above, if the problem files are in the 'Media' directory, I would push the <up-arrow> key to get the previous  command and add '/Media' onto it-- as shown below:

ls -al /mnt/user0/Media

Directory entries should look like this:

image.png.3248221703f723b4c3e20db19c590d71.png

And files entries look like this:

image.png.b877b7d57afc750ef3b78a4798e22630.png

When you find some that don't look like this, figure out what Docker or VM is creating those files or directories.

You should posted questions about making the proper changes to get things set up properly in the support thread for that application.

• Thanks 1

Let me amend the above reply. 

You may find the the 'owner' may be someone besides 'nobody'.  This is ok as long as it is one of the Share Access user that have been set up.  IIRC, Theses Share Access users are automatically included as member of the users 'group'.  If you look at the permissions in the example of what Unraid uses when it writes any file or directory, the 'group' has the same access permissions as the 'owner'!  So the actual owner is not a problem is this situation as far as permissions go.

IIRC, this is not the standard or, possibly, even the recommended permission setup for most Linux distributions.  From what I have seen these defaults usually have reduced privileges for 'group' and 'other'.  

Frank1940 thank you for the info.  I cant seem to find which docker or group is causing it.  I receive info in sonarr today that "Series title mismatch, automatic import is not possible" and i was able to manually grab or edit and delte movie through windows 11 to my unraid server.  Then radarr had error message as this...

1205233476_radarrerror.thumb.png.4773b6856207870ad66f24f308937808.png

So I use windows pc to see the folder in my data/media/movies and find the movie folder it is empty

I check my usenet/complete/movies folder a see the movie fodler and movie i hold a drag like i normally do and windows gives this error:

1620923779_windowsfileaccessdenied.png.e589884d85e88cf007a74c73e22898fd.png

I use your instruction and open a command prompt in uraid and can not find the empty folder in my data/media/movies folder

I checked the usenet folder and this is what showed up

2142143695_folderinusenet.png.d7f91c071a4362af6fe9686b6c6ab504.png

I can not explain why every12-24 hours I am having limited access to the folder managements on the unraid server.

I still do not know what docker group to ask this question to as well as it seems to happen frequently with a few.  makes me wounder if my unraid global setting are incorrect somewhere.

needless to say I have tried to disable all docker container and reset permissions for disks and shares, which temporarily fixes it. 

My PUID is 99, PGID is 100, UMASK varies 002, 022 

i read somewhere that umask may need to be 000 but I do not want to mess with that unless this is for sure an issue

Thank you

Edited by ashkasto
33 minutes ago, ashkasto said:

itimpi it is still happening, that fix was just temporary.  Any other suggestions please?

If the files are being created via a docker container then you will need to find a way to get the container to create the files with the correct permissions in the first place.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ashkasto said:

I checked the usenet folder and this is what showed up

2142143695_folderinusenet.png.d7f91c071a4362af6fe9686b6c6ab504.png

Remember that I said that all Share Access user were members of the 'users' group.   ('nobody', IIRC, is actually assigned to the anonymous, or guest user, who does not have a Share Access login.  Today, this type of user is considered a security rick and you have to set up special permissions-- for both Windows and recent Unraid versions --to allow them!) 

31 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If the files are being created via a docker container then you will need to find a way to get the container to create the files with the correct permissions in the first place.

This is your solution to this problem.  Figure which Docker container(s) are generating these files and directories.  Hopefully, there will be a setting in their configurations settings.  (Observe that there is a Basic and Advance switch on many Dockers in the up right corner.)  You will be looking for the UMASK, PUID, and GUID settings.   The GUID for 'users' is 100 and the PUID for 'nobody' is 99.  Google for Info on how to set UMASK...

If you need more assistance than this, post in the support thread for the Docker that you are using...  

• Thanks 1
  • 11 months later...

Sorry to necro this thread, but I had the same issue with a filezilla container I was using to migrate data from my old NAS to unRAID. Running the new permissions tool on the files I'd already transferred fixed those and correcting the UMASK in the container resolved the issue for new transfers. So thanks!