How do I store users/groups permanently?

I've set several times a the same username with matching group name, and give them an specific UID and GID to match other servers but this keeps getting lost. Only password changes stick. The user loses(reverts from ) the UID and the group gets completely erased, hence making the user lose the GID as well.

How do I make Unraid not ignore these changes? I already left the AD domain because it was too messy; I could never access anything even if set as public and after verifying Kerberos works on every participant system. I confirmed that /etc/passwd and /etc/group get updated after issuing the commands too but somehow both files manage to revert back. Right now I'm not sure when do they revert either: if it's a reboot what triggers it, or what—I've stopped the array a few times make adjustments but it's always up, not down—it shouldn't factor on this, I think. The only warning I get is when things are already failing.

Is this supposed to happen? If so, how do I stop it so I can save the data I need to save?

Thanks.

11 hours ago, vitaprimo said:

I confirmed that /etc/passwd and /etc/group get updated after issuing the commands too but somehow both files manage to revert back.

When Unraid installs itself (which occurs every time you reboot or start your server), it is installed to a file system on RAM 'disk'.   Thus, any changes that you make to those files at that location are lost when the system restarts. 

If it were me, I would copy those files(after making the changes you want to them)  back to a location on the flash/boot drive.  Then edit the  go   file in the /config  directory on the flash drive to add a command(s) at the end of it to copy back the configuration file(s) to the Linux file system.

The other way to do the same thing would be to copy only the changes that you need and save them in file(s) on the flash drive.  Then add commands to the   go   file to append those files onto the proper files on the Linux file system.   (This has the advantage that you add a user via the Unraid GUI, you don't have to remember to update the file on the flash drive.) 

(Please don't ask me the exact commands to use.  I am remember learning to do this in a introductory Unix class about 40 years ago!!!) 

Edited by Frank1940